Since being founded in 2001, BlackLine has become a leading provider of cloud software that automates and controls the entire financial close process. Our vision is to modernize the finance and accounting function to enable greater operational effectiveness and agility, and we are committed to delivering innovative solutions and services to empower accounting and finance leaders around the world to achieve Modern Finance.
We're a technology-based company with a sense of adventure and a vision for the future. Every door at BlackLine is open. Just bring your brains, your problem-solving skills, and be part of a winning team at the world's most trusted name in Finance Automation. Work. Play. Grow. At BlackLine.
As Director of Software Development, you will lead, manage, and inspire teams of talented Software Engineers working to enhance our high performance, cloud-based, SaaS web application. You will be at the core of what makes us successful: the people and teams who write our software and build new and key features for our clients. Being at the center of our application allows you to affect change, to own and drive improvements every day, and to imbue those around you with a passion and dedication to excellence.
We're looking for people who not only have a strong hands-on technical experience and interest, but who want to drive innovation in people management, motivation, and growth. You’ll be working with and mentoring talented individuals and working closely with other teams and departments to ideate, innovate and ultimately deliver the best client integrations and user experiences.
Roles and Responsibility (list in order of importance)
- Lead and grow engineering teams within cross-functional Agile Teams to deliver innovative, valuable, and high-quality functionality to our clients
- Champion data-driven change across the organization for product and process improvements
- Be a thoughtful people manager with emotional intelligence to inspire your team, develop and grow talent through effective mentoring, coaching, succession planning, and retention strategies
- Provide deep technical leadership and guidance to both your team members and your project peers, be it Product, Architects, Program, or technical stakeholders
- Cut through uncertainty and work with stakeholders to define requirements, and, ultimately, plan and manage the timely delivery of high-quality Product
- Work with executives, product teams, partners, and vendors to set the overall vision and strategy for world-class Integration platform
- Effectively plan, communicate, and conduct presentations (project milestones, risk mitigation, road maps, resource needs, technical information, etc.) for senior management and stakeholders while conveying and driving actionable items to your teams
How many direct reports will this position supervise or manage? > 5
Years of Experience in Related Field: 12+ Years
Education: Degree in Computer Science or related discipline, or equivalent experience
Technical/Specialized Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 2+ years of industry experience, of which 8+ years is in Engineering Management.
- Consistent track record of delivering highly scalable distributed system designs, high performance, and high-quality software systems
- Deep understanding and cultivating strong engineering practices and processes (SDLC, CI/CD, Agile, DevOps/SecOps, TDD, QA, Observability, Telemetry)
- Exceptional communication and people skills, with a passion for product excellence, talent development, and mentoring
- Strong technical acumen, creativity, interpersonal skills, and emotional intelligence
- Experience working with geographically distributed teams
- Working knowledge of OWASP secure development practices and 12-Factor App principles
- Designing and developing highly available ETL Pipeline to ingest, normalize, and data transfer
- Experience in modern database platforms, including data modeling, stored procedures, schema definitions, performance, and scaling considerations
- Experience working with Google Cloud Platform preferred
- Experience with Big Data frameworks like – NiFi, Spark, Hadoop, Hive
- Experience with Integration Vendors like – Boomi, Tibco, Informatica, MuleSoft, Workato
- Experience with Containerization and K8s
- Experience working with Vendors and Partners
Education - Masters in Computer Science or related discipline, or equivalent experience
Equal Employment Opportunity
BlackLine believes that our diversity is one of our greatest strengths, and we do not tolerate discrimination. It is our policy to recruit, hire, train, and promote individuals, as well as administer any and all personnel actions, without regard to sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), race, natural hair, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), color, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), national origin (including language use restrictions and possession of a driver's license issued under Vehicle Code section 12801.9), ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, including HIV and AIDS, genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, sexual orientation, military and veteran status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance or regulation.
We’re proud to continue to stand by this policy and will grow our company with attention to this instrumental belief in our hiring and promotion practices.
We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will reasonably accommodate applicants’ needs in accordance with applicable law throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, please contact us by sending an email to [email protected]