Director, Product Innovation
BlackLine has become the world's most trusted name in financial automation and defines the cutting-edge category of Modern Finance. We are a named Leader in the 2018 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Financial Corporate Performance Management, and one the country's best workplaces in Technology by Fortune™ Magazine. We’re looking for a Director, Product Innovation who can find creative answers to complex problems, engender trust and cohesion, facilitate innovation, and help us build a class-leading product innovation organization.
BlackLine’s Product Management group drives product design and strategy across BlackLine’s entire suite of solutions, manages the product backlog and roadmap, and leverages deep product, market, and competitive knowledge in support of other teams throughout BlackLine. The Director, Product Innovation will lead an internal team of Product Managers to define and drive success metrics, facilitate the professional growth of the team, identify tools and techniques for facilitating product innovation, and create a team environment focused around our key business objectives.
- New Product Incubation: The primary responsibility of the role is to drive development of new products in anticipation of or response to customer needs, market trends, and competitive opportunities. The Director works with resources across the company and executive stakeholders to generate and evaluate ideas to enhance BlackLine’s suite of product offerings and create a competitive advantage.
- Team Management: The Director, Product Innovation will lead a team of 4+ Product Managers to prove the viability of product delivery methodologies, facilitate knowledge-sharing, and continuously improve our product management process. This role will be responsible for managing individual and team performance, creating a culture of continuous improvement, and ensuring that the team environment consistently aligns to BlackLine’s corporate objectives. This individual will handle performance management, training, coaching, onboarding, other day-to-day activities, and will be heavily involved in budgeting and strategic planning.
- Roadmap & Backlog: The product team is responsible for maintaining roadmaps for each product, translating those roadmap items into epics and stories, and ensuring that those stories are properly groomed and accepted by our engineering teams. The Director will ensure that both the roadmap and backlog are updated frequently and provide a clear vision for the direction of a grouping of products that aligns to BlackLine’s broader corporate strategy, technology roadmap, and product vision. They’ll provide frequent updates and reporting on roadmap contents and progress, as well as the decision-making process that goes into defining the Roadmap.
- Process & Project Coordination: The Director, Product Innovation will work to create and implement policies, procedures, and trainings in order to improve our workflow and output. This role also includes internal collaboration with other leaders inside of the Product team, including Product Directors, Managers, and Product Managers.
- Customer Feedback: The Director will measure the success of a formal customer-feedback process designed to survey clients, collect relevant data, and use that as part of the design process. This process will also include working closely with Customer Success and our Services teams to identify ways in which we might improve our management of new products.
- Leadership and Coaching: Product Management is a difficult role, with immense responsibility, competing demands, and the constant pressure of making difficult decisions. The Director will provide steady leadership, mentoring, and support for the product team with the goal of ensuring that morale and productivity remain high. This role should also take special care that individual product managers are adequately supported and mentored.
- Software Quality: This individual will be passionate about trust, innovation, and speed, ensuring that all team members feel the agency to bring forward the best ideas in a collaborative environment.
- Hands-on: The Director is an entrepreneur who contributes as an individual, fills in gaps where necessary, and does anything that can be done to make BlackLine successful.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills
- Comfort making decisions in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong leadership and management ability as evidenced by a track record of leadership positions within software and/or technology organizations
- Deep familiarity with market and organizational elements of both SaaS and Enterprise-scale software businesses. Includes sales, marketing, services, and software development
- Willingness and ability to “lead from the front”
- Demonstrated history of facilitating professional growth and development
- Knowledge of management techniques employed in class-leading product organizations
- B.A. and/or MBA
- 10+ years of experience in a Product Management leadership role at a modern software company (SaaS and/or Finance and Accounting preferred).
- Experience managing the professional development of individuals and teams
- Experience assessing new products / businesses and taking them to market
- Experience with Agile/Scrum, Kanban, and Waterfall methodologies
- Familiarity with market and organizational elements of both SaaS and Enterprise-scale Software
- Understanding of user-centered design / Design Thinking concepts
- Understanding of personnel management techniques