Director, Revenue Operations
Reporting directly into the Senior Director of Revenue and as the leader of the Billing team, this position is responsible for handling day-to-day billing operations for new and existing products and the planning and execution of billing project initiatives, as well as identifying and driving billing process improvements. This individual will have significant cross-departmental interaction, collaborating with the Revenue, Sales Operations, Legal, and Finance teams on a daily basis. Personal activities will include leading the team in designing, implementing, and ensuring compliance with policies and procedures, as well as streamlining effective billing processes. This position is highly visible and requires a strong leader with strong finance knowledge and the ability to prioritize, plan, and direct the team.
Roles and Responsibility (list in order of importance)
- Work to define, improve, and ensure compliance with the company's billing standardization and automation objectives to ensure a streamlined billing process that can be scaled globally.
- Serve as a cross-departmental leader, visionary, and strategist that will implement procedures and systems encompassing the entire process from Order Form to Invoice that is scalable and capable of supporting the company’s rapid growth.
- Continually reassess the deal closure, order management, and provisioning processes to ensure they are aligned with the company’s strategy and go-to-market offerings.
- Coordinate with the Partner team to create relationships with the Reseller business and establish processes for Order Form and Billing protocols with the Reseller network.
- Review complex or non-standard deals to evaluate if the terms align with the company’s bookings, revenue recognition, and billing policies.
- Assume primary responsibility for reviewing the work of the billing team
- Serve as the primary point of contact for internal and external auditors as billing related questions arise
- Coordinate with FP&A of the monthly revision of the billing forecast
- Drive continuous improvement in system capabilities and processes for billing efforts focused on producing timely and accurate bills
- Work with finance and product teams to design and execute an operational billing model for new product SKUs. These include development of processes and procedures and determining how the new product SKUs will be entered and invoiced.
- Build and run various reports for the team and various internal customers. Analyze billing information to provide recommendations and data to various internal customers and to ensure accurate understanding of contract and billing information.
- Leverage reporting tools to develop, monitor and report on periodic Billing KPIs to executive levels of management
- Be the subject matter expert on ERP functionality as it relates to the Order to Cash process and how it integrates with SFDC/CPQ
- Lead month-end closing of billing on a timely basis so that the financial close timeline is not adversely impacted
- Improve, monitor and enforce billing policies and procedures, and ensure they evolve appropriately as the company scales
- Serve as customer escalation and resolution point for invoicing issues and disputes
- Coordinate with Collections team to follow-up on customers refusing to pay, incorrect invoice information, underpayments, and past due receivables in a timely manner
- Represent billing function on cross-functional project teams
- Perform other related duties and special projects, as needed
Years of Experience in Related Field: 10-15 years in Accounting and Billing Operations, preferably in a SaaS environment. Must have been in a managerial position for at least 5 years.
Education: - Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in an Accounting, Finance, or other related field
Technical/Specialized Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Management experience of 5+ years with at least 5 direct reports
- Experience with system implementation and optimization highly preferred
- Demonstrated history of automating manual processes
- Historical experience with cross-departmental leadership and coordination
- Strong report automation skillset required
- Salesforce system experience preferred
- NetSuite ERP experience preferred
- Strong analytical, mathematical, and creative problem-solving skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and strong listening and interpersonal skills
- Keen attention to detail
- Highly self-motivated and directed, able to work independently
Equal Employment Opportunity
BlackLine believes that our diversity is one of our greatest strengths, and we do not tolerate discrimination. It is our policy to recruit, hire, train, and promote individuals, as well as administer any and all personnel actions, without regard to sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), race, natural hair, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), color, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), national origin (including language use restrictions and possession of a driver's license issued under Vehicle Code section 12801.9), ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, including HIV and AIDS, genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, sexual orientation, military and veteran status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance or regulation.
We’re proud to continue to stand by this policy and will grow our company with attention to this instrumental belief in our hiring and promotion practices.
We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will reasonably accommodate applicants’ needs in accordance with applicable law throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, please contact us by sending an email to [email protected]