Senior Accountant (North America Accounting)
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc. is a world leader in developing therapies to treat rare genetic diseases, and after almost two decades, BioMarin’s extensive research and development efforts continue to expand the boundaries of medicine. Guided by its commitment to the rare disease community, the company seeks to rapidly develop first-in-class or best-in-class therapies that will make a meaningful difference to small patient populations.
BioMarin has six commercialized products and multiple clinical and pre-clinical product candidates in its pipeline. The company’s clinical success on behalf of its rare disease patients has produced robust revenue growth from BioMarin’s existing products.
BioMarin Finance is growing rapidly with the overall company and is developing into a cutting edge global finance organization. It has operations in over 40 countries that drive significant global accounting and finance complexity. For the nine months ended September 30, 2018, strong demand and revenue growth across BioMarin’s commercialized products delivered total revenue of $1.1 Billion. The company has ambitious growth plans in the immediate future and has an enthusiastic global finance team that is eager to deliver a world-class accounting and finance function to BioMarin and its stakeholders.
BioMarin trades on the Nasdaq under ticker BMRN and is headquartered in San Rafael, California.
Senior Accountant, (North America Accounting)
This is a newly created role in the expanding North America Accounting team responsible for accounting. The ideal candidate will have previous experience in accounting and will report to the Senior Manager Revenue, North America Accounting. Candidate should be able to multi-task and work both independently in a fast-paced dynamic environment and be a strong collaborator. Candidate must possess a strong desire to learn, grow and develop their skills while providing enhancement to the current accounting function. Attention to detail and good analytical skills are essential.
Main responsibilities include gross-to-net deductions, revenue accruals, commissions, rebates and reporting. The role will also include other general accounting. The role will partner with Commercial Operations, Supply Chain, International revenue and Order-to-Cash teams and will work closely with Technical Accounting on revenue recognition guidelines.
- Partnering with Technical Accounting to ensure the revenue accounting is in compliance with revenue recognition standards and technical guidance provided.
- Responsible for the preparation of monthly revenue journal entries and account reconciliations including commissions accruals, dispensing fees, reserves, gross-to-net and other revenue adjustments.
- Prepare monthly revenue reporting
- Other general accounting and ad-hoc monthly close activities.
- Participate in process transformation and efficiencies to include identifying areas for streamlining and improvements
- Completion of 10Q and 10K disclosure support for submission to the External reporting team
- SOX - Ensure internal controls are working effectively and propose improvements to support evolving accounting environment.
- Support both internal and external audits.
- Participate in Cross Functional Projects including ‘Order to Cash improvement’ initiatives.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in Accounting, preferably with combination of Big 4 audit and public company experience.
- Revenue accounting experience is essential.
- Experience with accounts receivable and order to cash is an advantage to understand the end to end process.
- ERP systems experience preferable Oracle EBS
- Strong desire to learn and progress
Bachelor’s in Accounting/Business Administration is essential and Certified Public Accountant is desirable.
Commercial Operations, Supply Chain, Technical/External Reporting, International Revenue counterparts, F,P&A, Corporate Accounting, External reporting, Internal and External Auditors and other BioMarin Departments.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.