BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Paralegal position is an exciting opportunity to join a fast-paced, dynamic in-house legal department supporting a growing, global biopharmaceutical company. The Paralegal will work closely with in-house attorneys and other professionals in the legal department and BioMarin functional groups.
A qualified candidate should be detailed-oriented and able to multi-task and communicate effectively across many functional areas. The key roles of the Paralegal are to: (1) provide paralegal support to Employment Counsel on litigation matters, internal investigations, and company-wide training programs regarding human resource matters; and (2) support Information Management Counsel by assisting with search/collections and management of eDiscovery matters. Other project-based legal department tasks in other areas may be assigned from time to time.
The Paralegal will work closely with a wide range of BioMarin functional groups, including Business Development, Commercial, Development Sciences, Finance, Human Resources, and Information Management.
This position will provide paralegal and legal department support services as described below:
Support Employment Counsel, by:
- Providing general litigation support including managing litigation files and documents, responding to and managing subpoena requests and assisting with eDiscovery search / collections and related activities.
- Providing litigation support as needed, including heavy drafting, editing and proofreading of documents and briefs, corresponding with opposing counsel, calendaring and developing initial answers to interrogatories and responding to document requests.
- Processing claims from EEOC/DFEH in the appropriate portals, including: managing deadlines with EEOC Investigators, proofreading draft responses, gathering critical documents from business owners in response to document requests from agencies and attorneys, preparing letters of extensions to agencies and attorneys, calendaring deadlines, scheduling witness interviews, meetings, and mediations with EEOC or private mediators and preparing litigation binders for EEOC/DFEH mediations and/or Wage Hearings.
- Creating and maintaining a tracker and litigation calendar for all corporate and employment litigation matters handled both in-house and with outside counsel.
- Supporting internal investigations including reviewing documents and practices for compliance with internal policies and procedures.
- Preparing and supporting the implementation of company-wide training programs regarding human resource matters, including providing PowerPoint assistance and drafting of materials for distribution.
Support Information Management Counsel, by:
- Assisting with refinement and development of policies, procedures and documentation to improve the overall defensibility and maturity of the existing eDiscovery program.
- Creating and implementing Legal Holds, including coordinating with Information Management, drafting supporting memorandums and sending / releasing Legal Hold Notices to affected employees.
- Developing, implementing, and managing “knowledge management” tools, including the Symantec eDiscovery tool (Clearwell) for use in eDiscovery matters.
- Assisting in responses to security incidents and data breaches including effectuating the collection of electronic documents, creating / revising and applying search terms to cull large data sets, performing document review and analysis, preparing data exports for outside counsel review and completing all necessary documentation and related activities.
- Supporting various initiatives of the Information Security Program (“ISP”) including the 3rd Party due diligence process, Incident Response Team activities and formalizing processes and documents to support the maturity of the ISP.
- Providing general support responding to and managing Data Access / Data Return / Data Deletion Requests and assisting with related production / destruction activities.
Support Legal Department Initiatives and Projects by:
- Supporting the Legal Department’s Records Management program including acting as a Knowledge Manager for the Legal Department and supporting the operational and administrative activities of the Information Governance program.
- Assisting and supporting long-term Legal Department projects and initiatives (e.g., contingent worker program, contract lifecycle management etc.) as needed, including providing project management support, creating documentation and other project-based support activities which may be assigned from time to time
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Strong drafting, proofreading and editing skills required.
- Strong computer skills in database management and document preparation (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Adobe Acrobat) required.
- Excellent organization and time-management skills required. Must be able to manage heavy workload and aggressive timelines in a timely manner, prioritize, and work under pressure.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required. Must be able to communicate effectively and serve as a liaison among outside counsel, in-house attorneys and employees, and proactively communicate regarding relevant issues and deadlines.
- Experience in paralegal litigation support or other relevant experience required; experience with employment law and/or information management matters strongly preferred.
- Law Firm or In-House Legal Department Required; Experience at a large law firm and/or an in-house legal department of a public company strongly preferred.
- Experience within biotech/pharma/medical device industry or other contract-intensive fields a plus.
- Familiarity with Spring contract management system a plus.
- Familiarity with Clearwell eDiscovery platform a plus.
- Familiarity with management of documents in O365/ Share Point Online a plus.
- Must be detail-oriented, self-motivated, a quick learner, and a “team-player” with a strong work ethic.
Requires a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent. Paralegal training strongly preferred.