Medical Assistant – MedMark – Savannah, GA
Position needed for well-respected medication assisted substance abuse program in Savannah, GA. Must be certified and will be responsible for answering phone, checking patients in, rooming patients, finger stick blood draws, PPDs. Previous experience in a physician's office or hospital required.
The employee must be available during these hours to cover for vacations and employees on leave of absence.
- Interviews patients and measures vital signs, such as pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, weight, and height, and records information into patients' electronic charts.
- Records and verifies patients' information and prepares medical records on new and returning patients; reports observations of a patient to the nurse caring for the patient to ensure professional assessment.
- Operates electrocardiograph (EKG) and other equipment to administer routine diagnostic tests.
- Assembles and uses such equipment as nebulizers, oxygen suppliers, and spirometry.
- Performs accucheck. Records the results, initials and dates the report, and marks the appropriate box to indicate whether confirmatory testing will or will not be done.
- Enters the results into the computer for a permanent record and chart report.
- Performs quality control tests according to the clinic procedure and testing schedule.
- Records the results in the quality control log; initials and dates the log.
- Obtains blood specimens and collects nonblood specimens such as urine sputum, for laboratory testing.
- Checks the test requisition or computer label against the nursing station log to assure correctness and completeness prior to collecting samples.
- Brings discrepancies to the attention of the clinic personnel for correction.
- Verifies positive patient identification.
Performs venipuncture's and finger sticks using the aseptic technique and in accordance with clinic procedures.
- Ensures that specimen requirements are met at the time of collection and maintains specimen integrity.
- Accessions and processes specimens to prepare them for laboratory testing.
- Prepares specimens for reference laboratory dispatch and testing.
- Contributes to the general laboratory functions and institutional needs
- Maintains compliance with company and clinic policies and procedures, as well as safety practices.
- Instills confidence in the patient by maintaining a neat and attractive appearance and performing duties in a competent and caring manner.
- Shows dependability by being punctual; maintains consistent attendance.
- Maintains good working relations among all clinic personnel and other company employees through appropriate communication.
- Prepares treatment rooms for examination of patients and disinfects treatment rooms, equipment and supplies using germicides.
- Maintains laboratory logs including specimen storage conditions, incidents, patient draws, etc.
- Monitors and records refrigerator temperatures. Defrosts lab refrigerators as needed and records process and temperatures.
- Cleans and disinfects laboratory daily.
- Will maintain clinic in a safe and comfortable environment for patients, guests and employees while promoting an atmosphere of cooperation, respect, and teamwork.
- Answers telephone and intercom calls, provides necessary information or relays messages to patients or appropriate medical personnel.
- Check patients in. Collect payments. Handles the mail. Data entry. Reconcile daily cash.
- Builds blank patient files for new admissions.
- Assists in obtaining and following up on patient histories from other NTP's.
- Prepares daily lab schedules and supplies and material, especially laboratory supplies.
- Inventories and orders supplies and material, especially laboratory supplies.
- Will maintain patient, employee, and computer data confidentiality while keying data into the computer to maintain office and patient records.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma of GED.
- Must be 18 years old.
- Phlebotomy certification preferred.
- Certified in Medical Assistant Program in the state of employment.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and current certification in BCLS.
1-2 years prior healthcare experience in similar field and environment.
- Good communication skills.
- Excellent customer service demeanor.
- Familiar with State Regulations, DEA regulations and TJC and / or CARF Accreditation
- Must have experience working with substance abuse population.
- Exhibits excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Skilled in conducting assessments, utilization of ASI criteria for appropriate patient placement, treatment plan development and implementation, service coordination, and crisis intervention.
- Excellent documentation and computer skills required.
- Knowledge of local community drug trends, the effects on the body and cognitive functioning of drugs of abuse, signs and symptoms of narcotic overdose, psychosocial implications of addictive disease, the process of addiction and treatment, social service, economic, legal, and medical systems, HIV transmission-health, behavioral, and emotional implications of addiction.
- Compliance with accepted professional standards and practices
Initiative to take charge of unforeseen situations, solve problems and adjust to schedule changes
MedMark Treatment Centers is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and to compliance with all Federal, State and local laws that prohibit employment discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, natural origin, ethnicity, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, genetic disposition, disability or veteran’s status or any other classification protected by State/Federal laws.