Are you a people person and enjoy talking to people everyday? Are you good with transactions, math and billing? Are you amazing at talking with insurance companies and asking others financial questions?
JOIN OUR TEAM!!!
TITLE: Fiscal Clerk
REPORTS TO: Treatment Center Director
Under general supervision, performs a variety of complex clerical and accounting functions for patient
billing, including verification of invoice information, maintenance of third party billing records, and
resolution of a variety of problems. Follows up on submitted claims and patient billing; resubmits claims or
resolves problems. May handle cash items and accounts receivable posting. Perform administrative
functions and assist with the coordination of office activities under the supervision of the Treatment
Center Director. Maintain the paper flow of clerical functions in the office.
1. Minimum age requirement of 18
2. High school diploma or equivalent with at least 2 years prior experience in a medical office
3. Excellent customer service skills and professional public presentation skills, including telephone
4. Knowledge of medical insurance claims procedures and documentation.
5. Knowledge of medical billing procedures.
6. Proficient in basic PC skills. Microsoft Word and Excel preferred.
7. Ability to maintain routine records and communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
8. Interpersonal skills that promote interdisciplinary collaboration and effective communication.
9. Satisfactory references from employers and/or professional peers.
10. Satisfactory criminal background check.
11. Self-directed with the ability to work with little supervision.
12. Flexible and cooperative in fulfilling all obligations.
13. Ability to understand and follow oral and written directions, establish and maintain effective
working relationships with patients, program management, medical staff, counselors and peers.
14. Ability to work with a diverse population and exhibit excellent customer service skills.
1. Review, maintain, and process fiscal/account records and transactions related to patient’s
2. Verify insurance benefits and billing information by terminal and/or telephone. Annotate accounts
with insurance coverage and estimated patient shares.
3. Contact third party payers (insurance providers and state/federal agencies) for payment post
4. Resolve issues with payment and billing, authorization process.
5. Forward information as appropriate to expedite payment.
6. Maintain accurate accounts, i.e. required signatures, proper account annotation, current
demographics, and correspondence.
7. Insure completion of pre-authorization process by inquiry and referral to clinician.
8. Monitor insurance authorizations and claim rejections.
9. Maintains fiscal records and/or worksheets for all calculations, extensions, and verifications related to record keeping for assigned patient’s accounts.
10. Perform tasks consistent with authorization and billing requirements.
11. Maintain concurrent authorizations as needed.
12. Contact patients for payment of account or payment arrangements according to current policy.
13. Prepare weekly production logs for self-pay clients.
14. Track self-pay balances.
15. Prepare self-pay detox list.
16. Prepare late notices for delinquent accounts.
17. Maintain confidentiality of patient records.
18. Respond appropriately to requests for information regarding accounts from payer, attorney, and
19. Track/monitor authorizations from insurance company/third party.
20. Ability to handle stressful situations and interact with others.
21. Must be present during working hours at the office for in person meetings and access to a
computer without violating company policy.
22. Builds blank patient files for new admissions.
23. Assists in obtaining and following up on patient histories from other NTP’s.
24. Backup Receptionist as needed by: Checking in patients, collecting payments, answering
phones, scheduling intakes, and data entry.
25. Reconcile daily money collected.
26. Assists with archiving discharged files, including archiving
27. Conduct follow up calls.
28. Assist with various administrative duties, as assigned by Treatment Center Director.
29. Checks insurance eligibility, when applicable
30. Support organizational and departmental philosophies, goals, and objectives and through own
behavior lead and motivate others to do so.
31. Keeps appropriate records as required by Company protocol and Federal and State Regulations.
32. Assists in obtaining and following up on patient histories from other NTP’s.
33. Support organizational and departmental philosophies, goals, and objectives and through own
behavior lead and motivate others to do so.
34. Other duties, as assigned.
The above statements are intended to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities
performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents will be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description.
General office, travel by automobile and occasionally by airplane.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, twist and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Regularly required to use hands, talk, and hear. Frequently required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, twist, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl in an eight (8) hour work day. Specific vision abilities include close, peripheral depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.