Merchandise Manager, Apparel
The Merchandising Manager, Apparel will oversee the assortment and selling strategies for all Men’s, Women’s, and Youth Softgoods and will oversee a team of Buyers. This role will be focused on ensuring the assortment meets both our financial goals and aligns to our branding strategy.
The Merchandise Manager will oversee a buying team with a multi-million dollar open-to-buy budget, define/execute strategy and day-to-day decisions, and partner closely with Marketing and Creative on campaign planning and management. This individual is also responsible for developing and maintaining strategic relationships with our vendors and negotiating terms as necessary.
About the Job:
- Responsible for meeting $200M+ in sales, margin, and inventory turn goals, using all available sites and channels.
- Manage and mentor a team of 8-10 ranging from Assistant Buyer to Sr. Buyer level.
- Develop and maintain accountability for overall assortment and selection strategy across both technical and lifestyle product and brands
- Implement and entrench a rigorous analytical process across the team to understand historical sales and inventory performance to inform future opportunities and actions.
- Maintain and develop strategic relationships and opportunities with key vendors: act as an ambassador for Backcountry and serve as the eyes and ears for the rest of the team.
- Work closely with Planning Manager to develop and manage annual/quarterly revenue, buying and receipt budgets.
- Develop an annual/seasonal selling calendar with Marketing to highlight key products, categories and promotions, emphasizing unique and differentiated stories.
- Oversee the flow of inventory in order to maximize potential sales while being mindful of the absolute necessity of quick inventory turns.
- Coordinate with the visual merchandising team to curate product stories, optimize taxonomy/sortation and implement cross sells to drive sales.
- Partner with content to ensure to define and uphold category content standards and ensure time site metrics are being met.
- Negotiate pricing, terms and freight allowances with vendors. Opportunities to build gross margin through re-structuring of vendor programs and seeking out key buys and closeouts should be pursued and communicated through the correct channels.
- Bachelor’s degree, in business-related field is strongly preferred.
- At least 7+ years in retail buying, preferably online
- Experience managing a team of buyers
- Ability to assess and manage both technical and lifestyle brands and products
- Excellent organizational skills and extreme attention to detail.
- Strong time management skills and must be solution-oriented.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent presentation skills and strong negotiation skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (proficiency in Excel a must).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A strong understanding of the E-commerce industry, Outdoor specific experience a plus
Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our five online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and SteepandCheap—aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. Backcountry employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.