Director - Customer Success
In this position, you will drive maximum life-time customer value as you recruit, train, and lead a rapidly growing team of Customer Account Managers representing over 2,500 existing accounts and $10M in renewals and add-on sales.
Candidates must be disciplined and goal-driven, possess outstanding planning and time management skills, and bring strong customer facing skills and technical acumen. Experience with business accounting concepts, ideally emphasising indirect tax and business process automation, is a strong plus. The ideal candidate likes to work with external customers and across departments within Avalara (Professional Services, Support, Marketing, Finance, IT and Product Management) to resolve issues, drive improvement and explore opportunities. Management candidates must also demonstrate strong leadership skills, providing their teams with clear goals and employing professional management, mentoring and motivational techniques to guide them to consistent success.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Assume accountability for the retention and growth of Avalara customer contracts and manage to exceed annual, quarterly and monthly metrics set by executive leadership and the board of directors; Forecasts retention, sales, and satisfaction status for assigned accounts.
- Retention—ensure team executes a proactive customer management strategy in order to build relationships to support retention for 2,500+ existing Avalara accounts with annual renewals valued at over $8 Million; Identifies at risk renewals and collaborates with internal teams to secure them.
- Satisfaction— Acts as an escalation point for accounts and works cross departments to solve; document problem description(s) with detail and record action steps taken in salesforce.com; proactively works to build highly satisfied and referenceable customers—measuring success through customer metrics including Net Promoter and CPO Scores.
- Growth—Drive growth of customer lifetime value by understanding customer business needs and recommending new add-on solutions and executing on upgrade sales to existing Avalara customers; Manages sales cycles ranging from 30 days to 1 year, negotiates complex enterprise contracts.
- Recruit, train, develop and lead a growing team of Customer Account Managers.
- Communicate a clear vision, plan and associated goals for success to your management and direct reports
- Implement technology, process and training programmes to support a high growth, rapidly evolving business area.
- Minimum of 10 years experience in a sales, professional services or account management leadership position
- Strong leadership skills emphasizing hands-on coaching and mentoring techniques. Proven success setting clear goals for teams and guiding team members to success through demonstration, motivation, and positive reinforcement.
- Successful track record in reaching or exceeding goals in: customer satisfaction, customer retention, and expansion sales
- Demonstrated success as a sales, professional services or account management leader selling in territories
- Experience maintaining outstanding external customer relationships, including experience guiding dissatisfied customers to mutually satisfactory solutions.
- Solid communication, listening and writing skills
- Able to resolve user questions through a combination of independent study, investigative programming, and collaborative efforts
- Able to work effectively with people of varied technical and finance backgrounds at entry through “C” level positions in both customer service and sales scenarios.
- Organized and reliable: able to work independently with little direction when necessary. Self-starter with natural curiosity and technical agility
- Excellent understanding of business accounting practices related to VAT and business process automation a plus. Good understanding of information systems implementation and support practices.
- Knowledge of/experience in cloud based software in one or more of the following roles: account management, software consulting, renewals management, TAM (technical account management)
- Experience using CRM systems (e.g. salesforce.com) to effectively track and manage account management activities including cases and opportunities
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with sales and excise tax, VAT, and other transactional tax requirements by delivering comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions that are fast, accurate, and easy to use. Avalara’s end-to-end suite of solutions is designed to effectively manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities in the United States and internationally.
Avalara offers hundreds of pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications. The company processes millions of tax transactions for customers and free users every day, files hundreds of thousands of transactional tax returns per year, and manages millions of exemption certificates and other compliance related documents.