Director of Compliance Services
This position will have responsibility to advance Avalara’s beverage alcohol Compliance Services strategy by developing operational readiness and guiding the future direction of automation to effectively service customers of all sizes. Leading the Service Delivery team is critical to the overall success of the business. Services include sales and excise tax return filing and remittance, monthly shipment reports, product registrations, product revisions and product renewals, new licensing, license modifications, cancellations and license renewals. This position oversees 3 service delivery teams and has contact with clients, regulatory agencies, and staff.
- Responsible for all aspects of customer experience and deliverables end to end for the Service Delivery teams which include product registration, licensing and returns/reporting
- Develop metrics and operational disciplines to drive increased efficiency and accuracy in support of an expanding customer base as well as monitoring progress of each team and course correcting as necessary
- Guide future direction of automation as well as identify opportunities to improve process and systems to create greater accuracy and efficiency to enable the business to scale effectively
- Develop cross functional relationships with Product, Development, Go Live, Support, CAMs, Sales & Treasury - All vital internal partnerships in delivering end to end managed compliance experience
- Participate in weekly / quarterly leadership meetings and collaborate with the leadership team on problem solving and new opportunities
- Cultivate a “People First” culture, where talent acquisition, development and retention are a priority which includes supporting teams with development opportunities, promoting a healthy culture, supporting core company values and focusing on employee experience
- “Hands on” and ongoing assessment of monthly team processes to prioritize and execute high impact changes or enhancements which includes working with Team leaders to balance workload as needed and maintaining appropriate internal control safeguards
- 10+ years Operations management experience developing, managing and motivating professional level employees
- Lead effective meetings that focus on objectives in support of the plan and measurable outcomes
- Manage multiple priorities and allocate resources in line with priorities with a focus on both timeliness and accuracy of services
- Coach Team Leaders individually with an eye for the development of peak performance
- Works with a sense of urgency when warranted and avoids the escalation of urgent situations to crisis
- Understands operational priorities and possess the flexibility to adjust as priorities shift.
- Sets high standards for staff conduct and performance, checks in regularly and follows up with both recognition and addressing shortfalls
- Possesses self-awareness and has insights, recognizes others’ struggles and intervenes when appropriate to maintain a focus on productivity
- Communicates clearly and effectively: is calm in a crisis, inspires the team with an upbeat focus on goals, encourages open honest dialogue and healthy conflict. Maintains a confident “can do” attitude with both staff and clients.
- Builds trust at all levels of the organization by speaking truthfully, accepting the positions of others and living up to both expectations and agreements.
- Addresses the root cause with solutions that can include to improved processes, implementation plans and thorough execution of the plans.
- Understands government compliance for licensing and tax compliance as well as holds keen insights into the alcohol beverage industry.
- Has automated tax solution experience
- CPA, MBA or CMI
- Experience with a Big 4 firm, large corporate tax department of a multinational company, or large ERP integration is preferred
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.