This position will have responsibility to advance Avalara’s beverage and alcohol Compliance Services business by managing and developing a team of tax analysts focused on meeting operational deadlines. The Tax Manager is responsible for overseeing licensing, product compliance and customer relationships. Responsibilities include managing up to 6 staff, timelines, workload and staff resources to prepare and file license and product compliance filings for wineries, importers, breweries and distilleries.
- Manages day to day activities, ensuring compliance is performed accurately, timely and in accordance with policy and procedure
- Coordinates with team to ensure deliverables are met, plans for peak periods and communications to team expectations and timelines and holds people accountable to meet them
- Understands the dependencies between Service Delivery departments
- Demonstrate effective management skills including delegation, removing obstacles, resolving conflict
- Cultivates a team culture that embraces Avalara's success traits and introduces new members to the manifesto
- Develop a strong working relationship with other departments and within department to ensure teamwork and positive culture
- Recognize opportunities within functional area to obtain best practice as they relate to efficiency and accuracy then implement
- Provide support to the Sales/Marketing/Go Live departments
- 3+ year operational management experience developing, managing and motivating professional level employees
- Lead effective meetings that focus on objectives in support of the plan and measurable outcomes
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and allocate resources in line with priorities with a focus on both timeliness and accuracy of services
- Ability to implement new processes and procedures and train team effectively
- Works independently and is responsible for developing and communicating a positive customer centric culture
- Work with a sense of urgency when warranted and avoids the escalation of urgent situations to crisis
- Sets high standards for staff conduct and performance, checks in regularly and follows up with both recognition and addressing shortfalls
- Possesses self-awareness and has insights, recognizes others struggles and intervenes when appropriate to maintain a focus on productivity
- Communicates clearly and effectively: is calm in a crisis, inspires the team with an upbeat focus on goals, encourages open honest dialogue and healthy conflict. Maintains a confident “can do” attitude with both staff and clients.
- Builds trust at all levels of the organization by speaking truthfully, accepting the positions of others and living up to both expectations and agreements.
- Addresses the root cause with solutions that can include to improved processes, implementation plans and thorough execution of the plans.
- Understands government compliance for licensing and tax compliance as well as hold keen insights into the alcohol beverage industry.
- Automated tax solution experience
- CPA, MBA or CMI
- Experience with a Big 4 firm, large corporate tax department of a multinational company, or large ERP integration is preferred
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.