This position is the first step in product design for the automation of tax returns and other documents for the Avalara customer. The scope of tax includes Motor Fuel, Sales and Use, Tobacco and other US and International tax types.
The Product Designer will become an expert on the Avalara Returns Excise solution. With expert knowledge of the system, the designer will focus on adding new tax returns and electronic filing formats into the solution. The designer will be able to read tax instructions and technical mapping documents (XML and EDI) and translate those into detailed designs for implementing tax forms and electronic filing into Avalara Returns Excise.
The designer will seek to make tax returns easy to use for customers and always calculate the tax correctly. The best designers have a great attention to detail and want to ensure that the end software product simplifies taxes to the extent possible for the benefit of users. This is a very technical position that requires problem solving skills and the ability to think like a really good programmer in order to make sure that software is created properly.
The Product Designer is responsible for the research of tax rates, application of rates and calculations to software, researching the rules and requirements of a tax return, and creating a technical design document. The Designer also needs to be able to construct precise statements in pseudocode using basic computer programming constructs and data types.
The background of many current team members is primarily technical, they have an aptitude to learn the nuances of tax and build the tax knowledge over time.
- Lead tax research and analysis efforts in the area of tax returns and electronic filing to support continuous improvement of Avalara Returns Excise
- Write precise designs for accuracy and functionality of returns – including sample SQL, sample code, sample logic where necessary to ensure that the delivered product is accurate
- Identify and document corrective actions for defect resolution – sometimes the delivered product does not match the requirements, it is often up to the product designer to dig into the guts of the system and save the day
- Always be on the lookout for new ideas, new approaches, new ways to automate the process – bring your innovation skills to this role
- Interact with multiple departments to resolve problems timely, supply content as requested and other requests
Qualifications (absolute must haves walking in the door)
- Ability to serve as analyst for complex tax research efforts related to taxation of sales and use, tobacco, motor fuels, and other commodities in the USA and Internationally
- Excellent documentation skills – ability to explain complex tax requirements and scenarios from a functional and technical perspective
- Ability to understand complex software features used for data transformation (field mapping, default values, data manipulation)
- Experience with basic computer programming constructs and data types
- if-then-else, string, number, etc.
- Knowledge of database management systems, able to create basic to complex SQL queries
- Ability to interface well with teams across the organization
- Driven to provide solutions using initiative and creativity while taking ownership of the solution
- Excellent leadership, communication and interpersonal skills
Preferred Qualifications (great to have but not absolutely necessary)
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, computer science or related field preferred
- Demonstrated experience in research and analysis preferably in multiple areas of tax such as excise tax, tobacco, alcohol, motor fuel tax, sales & use
- Experience in implementation, design/development, testing, or administration of motor fuel, tobacco or sales/use or other software applications
- Past software development experience, able to discuss and create complex logic
- Experience or knowledge of electronic tax filing formats including XML or EDI
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.