Senior Manager of Tax
The Finance team at Avalara is seeking a well-rounded Senior Manager of Tax to support our tax compliance, including indirect tax and income tax. As a leading provider of sales tax automation, this newly created role will partner with our team of customer-facing tax experts and technologist to ensure compliance with our indirect tax obligations. Coordinating with our external tax advisors, the role will also support our Federal and State tax return filings and our annual and quarterly income tax provisions. The broad focus of this role (approximately 70% indirect tax and 30% income tax) will provide the opportunity to help build the internal tax compliance function at Avalara.
- Review monthly, quarterly, and annual sales and use tax returns prior to filing.
- Review reconciliations prepared by accounting team for tax accounts in the general ledger.
- Resolve external and internal tax inquiries.
- Effectively communicate with internal staff and taxing authorities on tax matters.
- Perform tax research on a broad range of topics, including taxability of products and services, and deliver clear communication of findings.
- Develop and maintain detailed tax procedure documentation, including key SOX controls.
- Recommend process improvements to streamline tax compliance.
- Manage preparation of the quarterly and annual income tax provision for external financial reporting
- Manage Federal and State tax returns preparation
- Will also work as part of a team on special projects as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field and a CPA (advanced degree a plus)
- Minimum 7-years of combined experience at a public accounting firm and in industry.
- Experience managing indirect tax compliance across multiple state and local tax jurisdictions (experience with our AvaTax Compliance Suite is a strong plus).
- Strong tax research skills and ability to communicate results in both written and verbal forms.
- Strong knowledge of MS Office software and general accounting systems (NetSuite a plus).
- Good understanding of ASC 740
- Involvement with Federal and State income tax filings
- Critical qualities to be successful include:
- Excellent analytical skills, including the ability to effectively problem solve and make decisions
- Effectively able to direct and prioritize multiple and complex projects to completion within deadlines
- Strong attention to detail and organization skills
- Encourage and demonstrate a spirit of continuous improvement
- High integrity and ethical standards
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.