Can you be comfortable being uncomfortable? Can you do 2 or 3 jobs instead of only one? Are you fine with always speaking your mind? Can you lead, execute, and stay focused despite many distractions, and do the work yourself if needed?
At Autocar, we fight for the customer’s needs. We are disrupting the industry by putting the customers’ needs first. Every truck we make is custom-engineered, and custom-made, specifically for that customer—no “one size fits all” here. Because we engineer tools differently, we deliver trucks faster than the competition, and they WORK. The truck has more uptime, is more comfortable for the driver, and is safer—40% fewer crashes with injury than the industry average.* For the life of the truck, we have around-the-clock support.
It takes a special kind of person to be a part of this business in transformation. We are privately owned and expect our team members to act with an owner mindset: Relentless about creating value for the customer. Dogged about finding efficiencies and eliminating waste. Standing arm and arm with the rest of the team until the job is done—and ready to do it again the next day, with a smile.
It is not easy do things differently in this industry. But we do it—because we are passionate about improving the lives of the drivers that use our trucks.
As a Service Technician, you will work in production troubleshooting, diagnosing and repairing electrical and mechanical problems on the trucks. Ability to handle regular maintenance and both light and heavy repairs for Trucks. This would include repairs on brake systems, transmissions, rear-ends, hydraulic systems, valves, pumps, electrical problems and engine repairs. Although as a service technician you will be working on all aspects of the truck your main focus will lie in the electrical repairs. It is important to note that you will be provided with all schematics and software needed to perform the job to the best of your abilities. Being an electrical technician means that you will often be in high pressure situations, often supporting multiple areas simultaneously. It is important to stay calm and collected. This is a fun technical position and a big plus is that all the trucks that will be worked on is brand new.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ability to Perform scheduled maintenance.
- Perform repairs on Cummins Engines, mainly how Autocar interfaces electrically, hydraulically and mechanically to Engine.
- Perform repairs on Allison Transmissions, mainly how Autocar interfaces electrically, hydraulically and mechanically to Transmission.
- Perform repairs on Bendix and Wabco ABS systems, mainly how Autocar interfaces pneumatically and electrically to ABS ECU.
- Detailed documentation on repairs done on Trucks.
- Clean shop and surrounding work areas.
- Promote cooperation and teamwork.
- Willing to train and maintain certifications necessary as ongoing technician training and development.
- Able to embrace our Support & Safety Culture.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
What does it take to be a part of our team?
- Associates degree in a technical field that applies to our industry or equivalent experience (5 plus years)
- CDL certification preferred – Optional
- Computer experience. (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Software Experience (Cummins Insite, Allison DOC, Bendix ACOM, Wabco Diagnostics) – Optional
- Multiplexing Experience, J1939 communication protocol - Optional
- Strong analytical and time management skills
- Quick learner who requires minimal supervision and possesses good problem-solving skills
- Team player with excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
Hours: 6 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. M-F, occasional Saturdays
Where will you work? The Service Technician will be based in Birmingham, AL.
What do we offer in benefits? We offer an attractive compensation and benefits package, to include base salary, incentive bonus opportunities, and benefits such as medical/dental/vision options, 401K plan, etc.
Don't see your dream job?Submit Your Resume