Job Title: Production Associate
Department: Operations, Production
Reports To: Production Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Prepared By: Human Resources Specialist
Prepared Date: June 2019
Approved By: Plant Manager
Approved Date: June 2019
The primary responsibility of the Production Associate will be to function in self-directed work groups/teams, responsible for the productive operation of the Assembly line.
Production Associates will be trained and asked to perform all of the various work station, line assembly, or production support operations to produce truck assemblies. Working under the direction of a Production Supervisor, the Production Associate will support operations in a responsible and efficient manner on assigned tasks.
Production Associates must understand, foster, promote and maintain a Continuous Improvement mindset with his/her area of responsibility regarding Safety, Teamwork, Quality, Throughput, Production Methods, Standard Work and Housekeeping. They must promote and develop a culture of ownership of results, a sense of responsibility and pride in workmanship and self-discipline through open communication, team participation and employee empowerment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Reads and interprets Bill of Materials (BOM) for the assembly of specific parts or components according to standard work instructions and processes; verifies all parts prior to assembly.
- Informs Production Supervisor of any parts shortage or parts or equipment defects in a timely fashion to ensure a prompt resolution to the problem.
- Assembles components by examining connections for correct fit; fastens parts and subassemblies by hand or through the use of various hand-held, DC, torque tools, etc.
- Assembles components accurately, thoroughly and quickly to approved specifications within specified takt times. Communicates and records any discrepancies in meeting takt times.
- Verifies specifications by measuring completed component.
- Works collaboratively with other team members within the workstation and line, as well as other departments such as Materials and Quality to achieve daily production goals.
- Keeps equipment operational by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs.
- Maintains a safe, clean and organized work environment by implementing 5S principles.
- Observes all safety instructions and requirements for operating machinery and tools including inspection of all lift equipment prior to operation; must wear required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as directed.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in-group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics; Eliminates the root cause of issues.
Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
Oral Communication – Communicates effectively; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Participates in meetings.
Teamwork – Places the team before individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes as well as difficult feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
Diversity - Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Educates others on the value of diversity; Promotes a harassment-free environment; promotes and supports a diverse workforce.
Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Required Education and Skills
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude.
- Basic computer skills.
- Ability to read, interpret and comprehend standard Bill of Materials (BOM), standard work instructions and policies and procedures.
- Ability to complete paperwork accurately following good documentation practices (GDP).
- Ability to perform basic math calculations including adding, subtracting, and measuring.
- Ability to lift 25-50 lbs. unassisted on a frequent basis.
- Ability to hear and understand verbal instructions in English.
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Good organizational skills, able to prioritize and manage competing priorities.
- Quick learner who requires minimal supervision and possesses strong problem solving skills demonstrating ability to troubleshoot and perform root cause analysis.
- Must be able to work with minimum supervision by following detailed instructions; also work in a team environment.
- Must be able to meet the physical requirements of the job (i.e., lifting, bending, twisting, standing, sitting, use of vision, etc.).
- Must pass a drug test and background screening (including criminal), verification of education and work history.
- Over one year of experience in a vehicle manufacturing/industrial environment.
- Previous experience operating and repairing diesel trucks and/or farm equipment.
- Ability to read mechanical drawings using AXIS or other CAD viewing software.
- A solid working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, bend, squat, twist, walk, talk, hear and see clearly. The employee is required to stand for long periods. The employee is frequently required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds with or without lift assistance, use hands to finger, handle, hold, move, pinch, grasp, push, pull or feel and push and pull and reach with hands and arms. The employee may be occasionally required climb, balance, crawl, crouch, sit or stoop. The employee may be exposed to frequent vibration while using tools. The employee must be able to wear all required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as specified for the position including but not limited to: wearing gloves, safety glasses and steel or composite toed shoes. Assembly employees who work in the paint booth are required to pass a Respirator Medical Evaluation and must be able to wear a fitted respirator.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions and extreme heat and cold. The noise level in the work environment is typically moderate.
Don't see your dream job?Submit Your Resume