Can you be comfortable being uncomfortable? Can you do 2 or 3 jobs instead of only one? Are you fine with always speaking your mind? Can you lead, execute, and stay focused despite many distractions, and do the work yourself if needed?
At Autocar, we fight for the customer’s needs. We are disrupting the industry by putting the customers’ needs first. Every truck we make is custom-engineered, and custom-made, specifically for that customer—no “one size fits all” here. Because we engineer tools differently, we deliver trucks faster than the competition, and they WORK. The truck has more uptime, is more comfortable for the driver, and is safer—40% fewer crashes with injury than the industry average.* For the life of the truck, we have around-the-clock support.
It takes a special kind of person to be a part of this business in transformation. We are privately owned and expect our team members to act with an owner mindset: Relentless about creating value for the customer. Dogged about finding efficiencies and eliminating waste. Standing arm and arm with the rest of the team until the job is done—and ready to do it again the next day, with a smile.
It is not easy do things differently in this industry. But we do it—because we are passionate about improving the lives of the drivers that use our trucks.
What will you do? The Productivity Engineer facilitates the seamless transition of new products and options into the production environment. Perform all aspects of continuous improvement including but not limited to; implementing lean manufacturing practices, 5S and visual management, throughput improvements, quality improvements, safety and ergonomics, tooling and equipment development for the efficient assembly of severe duty class 8 trucks.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Productivity Engineer is responsible for manufacturing engineering, industrial and process engineering related functions within his/her scope of responsibility at Autocar. Key functions include
- Day-to-Day production and quality line support. Review with area supervisor’s resource needs and assembly processes. Action changes and update process instructions
- Train supervisors/operators on new process and production launches
- Conduct/Participate Kaizen events and implement actions from the events
- Representation on plant safety team
- Participate in design reviews and provide direction/guidance for design for manufacturing
- Review new orders and estimate time and resource needs to meet customer build requirements
- Coordinate with offsite contract engineers to release process models and assembly instructions.
- Facilities and tooling development and inspections.
- Work with in-house and contracted manufacturers to develop tooling to support new product launches.
- Work with sub-contractors to ensure current tooling is certified for intended use
- Project management and introducing new products/options into production.
- Other duties assigned as needed to support production
The ideal candidate possesses the ability to readily adjust to changing priorities, is innovative, self-driven and has a hands-on approach to problem solving while working well within a team.
What does it take to be a part of our team?
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering(ME), Mechanical Engineering Technology (MET), Industrial Engineering Technology (IET) or equivalent
- Minimum 1-3 years’ experience in manufacturing environment, preferably assembly in the automotive or heavy truck industry
- Experience in Six Sigma, lean manufacturing, 5S and visual management
- Understanding of time study/line balancing
- Strong work ethic, great attitude and willingness to learn
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment with the ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously
- Production-oriented and hands-on
- Effective communicator across all levels of the organization
- MS Office proficiency
- Autodesk Inventor, SolidWorks Composer, and NX Unigraphics a plus
A thorough working knowledge of:
- CAD based engineering design system
- Mentor Graphics, VESYS, Pro/ diagram, or similar harness creation software
- Team Center PDM system
Where will you work? The Productivity Engineer will be based in Hagerstown, Indiana.
What do we offer in benefits? We offer an attractive compensation and benefits package, to include base salary, incentive bonus opportunities, and benefits such as medical/dental/vision options, 401K plan, etc.
Don't see your dream job?Submit Your Resume