Director of Tech and Platforms
Ashoka’s vision is an Everyone a Changemaker world, where every person - and young person in particular - has the confidence, ability, and support to become a changemaker for the good of all. In a world defined by rapid change, interconnectedness and uncertainty, and where social problems are deep and urgent, changemaking must become the new literacy.
Such a shift is significant and will require a movement that fundamentally re-examines how young people grow up and learn - in and out of school - and how we see and support them today as change agents. It will require more than any specific curriculum or skill set, but rather a new mindset and new priorities.
Our Theory of Change
Much like what we did with the field of social entrepreneurship, we are seeking to drive a mindset shift in society by helping people see differently. To do this, we are taking collective action with powerful players in education, government, and media who are equally dedicated to our Everyone a Changemaker vision. We cannot reach every child ourselves, but by activating a carefully selected cross-cutting network of collaborators, we can set in motion an irreversible shift towards a future where everyone understands that empathy and changemaking are essential to a child’s success in growing up.The Role
We are looking for someone with a deep understanding of technology and platforms – both from a technical and an ethical perspective. As a senior director, we need someone who’s a great collaborator and community builder, who can work closely with other teams internal and external to Ashoka, such as our global Information and Technology Initiative and Tech and Humanity Team, but also with Fellow organizations that are leveraging technology to create an Everyone a Changemaker World. Changemakers envisions an interconnected changemaking tech ecosystem that can support everyone to be powerful. As a team leader, we are looking for someone with strong leadership and management skills, who can engage different stakeholders towards a shared vision.
Global South, but open to anywhere in the world with minimum of 4 hours overlap with US time zone.
Changemaker Technology & Platforms Leadership
- Be a leader in the pursue of “what comes next?” in terms of tools and platforms that can serve our team in our path towards an Everyone a Changemaker world – up to date with recent technologies and our Tech and Humanity work.
- Be a champion of Everyone a Changemaker in the Tech and Humanity field, contributing knowledge, data and experience to our internal and external Ashoka conversations.
- Strengthen our relationships with country offices and Ashoka Fellows through the production of easy offers that enable us to remain the core operational system for Ashoka’s community.
- Set clear team OKRs and KPIs.
- Contribute to Changemakers’ annual strategic planning process.
- Participate in the weekly Changemakers’ Leadership check-ins.
- Support other sub teams on their platform decisions, ensuring they are aligned with CM’s strategic vision.
- Advise on decisions regarding our productivity tools, in collaboration with our Operations team.
- Be an expert in all our platforms and effective at customizing and configuring them to achieve our purposes.
- There will be a support team (user experience, designers, platform managers), but responsibilities include being able to directly manage our platforms.
Tech and Platforms Team Leadership
- Develop testing/prototyping and evaluation processes to support choices of tech and platform decisions for Changemakers.
- Lead the process of innovation and vision for the team, building relationships with other internal and external stakeholders and partners (ITI, NovoEd, other platforms and Fellows using technology to advance their work).
- Develop Changemakers’ strategy for our use of technologies
- Define and host the Tech and Platform Team meetings, and Office Hours for the team to understand and contribute to our long-term vision.
- Monitor team performance and report on metrics.:
- Ensure the use of the most effective, efficient and safe platform for all our products.
- Identify training needs in areas of expertise.
- Ensure the Changemakers’ tech strategy integrates with ITI and other technology initiatives and platforms around Ashoka.
Tech and Platforms Team Management
- Design and hire the Tech and Platforms team for Changemakers
- Delegate tasks and set project deadlines.
- Create a healthy and motivating work environment and atmosphere.
- Coach team members as required.
- Listen to team members’ feedback and resolve any issues or conflicts (this could be AP responsibility for those who have different AP and Team Lead).
- Ensure the team is fully funded and coordinate allocation of team members with Accountability Partners and Finance Manager.
- At least 10 years of experience in the field of Technology and 5 years as a Team Leader or similar role managing people.
- Minimum 2-year commitment to the role
- Strong visionary who can design and lead radical innovations.
- Can take a vision and translate it into strategy, processes and operations.
- In-depth knowledge of performance metrics.
- Commitment to Changemakers’ and Ashoka’s Vision and Theory of Change.
- Critical thinker and problem-solving skills.
- Team player.
- Good time management skills.
- Great interpersonal and communication skills.
- Fluent in English + one other language
- Knowledgeable about the best practices of tech and platforms for social change