Ethical Consumption Intern
Ashoka is developing a community of social innovators and change leaders to accelerate the field of ethical consumption. Ethical consumption combines the conceptual power of changemaking with the market power of consumption: how much, for what and from whom we choose to consume. Ethical consumption encompasses efforts to consume fewer products, consume products with less negative social and environmental impact, and consume products from companies with better social and environmental performance. More information on this new initiative is available in a concept deck here.
Summary: The Ethical Consumption Intern will support the development of ethical consumption as a field of focus for Ashoka. This individual will possess exceptional research, organization and communication skills, as well as creativity, passion and demonstrated commitment to positive social change and social entrepreneurship. This role is an extraordinary opportunity to learn more about ethical consumption and gain exposure to Ashoka’s innovative culture.
- Conduct research on new developments and opportunities in the field of ethical consumption
- Evaluate social innovators and funders for interest in ethical consumption
- Assist in the development of compelling materials (such as pitch deck, webpage and intranet page) for communication with funding partners, social innovators and internal stakeholders
- Support key meetings with agenda, research, notes, chat monitoring and surveys
Successful candidates will possess most of the following skills and experiences:
- Exceptional research, organization and communication skills
- Personal experience with the changemaking power of ethical consumption
- Professional experience in the field of ethical consumption is preferred but not required
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and innovate effectively in a fast-paced, unstructured environment
- Be visionary and strategic but with a strong attention to detail
- Personable and interacts well with co-workers, partners and the entire Ashoka community
- Strong intellectual curiosity, entrepreneurial spirit and demonstrated commitment to social change
- Fluency in Microsoft Office
- Fluency in English; proficiency in other languages will be considered an asset
Time Commitment: Flexible. Generally at least two months duration, with approximately 12-20 hours per week for fall, winter and spring seasons, and approximately 20-30 hours per week for summer season.
Application: Applications are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year, and offers are usually made at least one or two months in advance of start date. Please include your resume, cover letter and what dates you are available.
Ashoka is the global association of the world’s leading social entrepreneurs. Ashoka has been pioneering the field of social entrepreneurship for 35 years—finding, selecting, and supporting the world’s leading social entrepreneurs (Ashoka Fellows). Our network of over 3,000 Ashoka Fellows is successfully implementing system-changing solutions to human and environmental problems in almost every area of need, in 90 countries. By learning from and collaborating with social entrepreneurs, we identify patterns and key levers to help society gain a new framework for living in the world as a changemaker. We believe that everyone should be enabled with the qualities that define a social entrepreneur. Building on our extensive experience with social entrepreneurs, we build and activate networks to create fundamental changes in the growing up experience of children and young people so that everyone can become a changemaker. We are investing in the people and patterns of collaborative entrepreneurship that are necessary in an Everyone a Changemaker world.
Ashoka is an equal opportunity employer and invites applications from candidates regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability or religion. Women, minorities and foreign nationals with I-9 employment status are encouraged to apply.