ESG Investment and Metrics Summer Intern
Over its 40 years of operation, Ashoka has identified and supported over 4000 systems-changing social entrepreneurs (Ashoka Fellows) globally. Ashoka also works with dozens of companies across industries and geographies to pioneer system-wide change and drive companies’ abilities to integrate social and environmental impact considerations into core business. Through supporting social entrepreneurs and engaging employees in our partnerships, the Changemaker Companies Team at Ashoka provides a unique opportunity to help companies embody purpose and increasingly improve their social and environmental footprint.
We are looking for a self-driven, collaborative, highly professional individual who can help us deepen our understanding of how ESG metrics are being interpreted by companies to meet investors’ demands, and to provide strong recommendations on how to engage our existing and potential partners in this discussion. The Intern will work closely with members of the US Changemaker Companies Team (CMC), a global team at Ashoka with a strong presence in DC, to frame the project and develop deliverables. The work products of this internship will contribute to significant decision-making around our change management work with US-based, multi-national corporations.
This graduate-level internship will contribute to the following aspects of our work with companies:
- Conduct mapping of current ESG metrics that multi-national corporations are reporting against, including what standards bodies they are aligning with, which stakeholders are involved in the process, and to what extent this is influencing their core strategy
- Based on extensive research and understanding of creating positive impact, prototype ESG metrics that illustrate how companies capture value through positive impact rather than risk aversion
- The length of the internship is from late-May 2023 to late August 2023 (with flexible start and end dates). There will be a summer break in July.
- This is a mostly remote summer internship that, if possible, will include occasional in-person meetings in Washington DC.
- It is an unpaid summer internship, but we can support you with applying to university funding and/or summer credits.
- A short cover letter expressing your interest in corporate transformation towards changemaking and/or your experience with digital employee engagement tools and surveys will be viewed favorably.
- Map current ESG metrics to surface common frameworks and measurements
- Capture corporates’ partners and stakeholders in their ESG measurement processes
- Conduct extensive research to clarify how to measure value creation through positive impact and clarify how this can be incorporated into ESG frameworks
- Based on research, evolve common ESG metrics and prototype a new ESG framework that illustrates how companies capture value through value creation for positive impact rather than risk aversion
- Knowledge of and experience with data analysis and research in fields such as investing, market research, standards setting, or ESG
- Investment and/or financial sector experience will be viewed favorably
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and meet self-imposed deadlines and targets.
- Experience and interest in the business for impact space.
- Strong interest and/or background in change management and social and environmental impact.
- Alignment with Ashoka’s core strategy of Everyone a Changemaker.
- Fluent spoken and written English is a must.
- Current student in a relevant an MBA or other quantitatively oriented program (MBA, public policy, or other related).