US Youth Years Events Manager
US Youth Years Event Manager
Location: Washington, DC | Type: Full Time | Experience Level: Junior
About AshokaAshoka invests in people who see the world not as it is, but as it could be; who seek to change a broken system instead of letting it continue. We call them social entrepreneurs, and over the past 35 years, we have supported more than 3,800 Ashoka Fellows as leading social entrepreneurs in 70 countries.
Our work is based on a fundamental insight: Behind every social innovation, there are human beings. Supporting the best of them, and connecting them with a network of peers, is the most effective way to bring about social change.
Our vision is a world where everyone is a changemaker – a world where everyone has the skill and confidence to drive social change and is committed to the good of all.
About Ashoka’s Youth YearsAshoka Youth Years is on the forefront of a movement to inspire every young person to become a changemaker - anyone who takes action to solve problems or create opportunities for the greater good. In partnership with young people and influential institutions, we build and activate communities of change leaders that are shifting the framework on how society views youth and how youth view themselves.
Your Role: Event ManagerAshoka Changemaker Challenges spotlight and support youth around the world through social venture and social innovation competitions run in partnership with organizations such as T-Mobile and General Motors. Through this program, we support the growth of young changemakers, helping them to reach new levels in their social impact projects and to empower their peers to join the Everyone a Changemaker movement.
As the Event Manager, you will work closely with the Challenge team to plan, organize and implement the changemaker convenings. You will be critical in driving forward all aspects of pulling together a dynamic event, including: agenda curation, attendee engagement, operations, and logistics. You will be responsible for helping manage the many teams involved in making the convenings a success, as well as leading many of the external facing communications platforms.
We expect the Event Manager to be organized, resourceful, professional, and able to take ownership of both strategy and operational efficiency as needed. They will join a fast-paced team of implementers and effective project managers and be immediately immersed in the worlds of changemaking, youth, and event curation.
- Coordinate logistics with all major vendors, including, but not limited to catering, hotels, transportation services, videographers, etc.
- Attend site visits at partner’s headquarters and hotel sites.
- Design a roadmap to hit key program goals
- Participate in weekly calls with partners to; ensure a smooth planning process, solidify the relationship and ensure that the partner’s needs are being met leading up to, during, and after the convening
- Scope volunteer roles and support their selection and engagement during the convening
- Lead the coordination and engagement of youth attendees and their chaperones.
Content Curation and Delivery
- Lead the design and implementation of both in-person and virtual convenings for young people and their parents
- Manage the convenings’ internal and external agenda
- Manage the convenings’ mobile application and content
- Design and implement strong community-building opportunities for all entrants, winners, and partners
- Collaborate with the challenge team to develop and execute evaluations during and after the convenings
- Contribute to team-wide strategy projects, partnerships, and integration across Ashoka
- Contribute to new offerings to grow the impact of changemaker challenges
Who You Are
Successful candidates will possess most of the following skills and experiences:
- At least 2-5 years of experience in the community building or event planning field preferred
- Detail orientated, with an appreciation for mechanics and a thirst for making stuff work
- Ability to work under deadline, but flexible enough to move fluidly when deadlines shift
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for both formal and informal communications
- High emotional intelligence, and experience working with a diverse set of stakeholders
- Flexibility and willingness to take initiative
- Ability to coordinate and think cross-culturally and work in a global environment
- Eager to solve problems and be proactive. Always thinking 2-3 steps ahead.
- Identifies as a changemaker and sees the potential in all young people being powerful changemakers as well
- Comfortable engaging and interacting with young people, while also able to join key partner meetings with corporate partners.
- Entrepreneurial experience. You have launched and led your own venture.
- Travel within the US for partnership support throughout the year
- Fluency in English required
- Able to pass a US Background check
- Willing to relocate to Washington, DC area
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
More About This Role:The Team: As part of our Ashoka global team-of-teams, you will interact with the executive leadership team and entrepreneurial staff from around the world who are working on a variety of different issue areas. You will work closely with partnership managers and an extended challenge team to bring our changemaker events to life. You will also have meaningful interactions with global Ashoka colleagues from all over the world.
The Salary: $40,000 - $45,000 (dependent on experience) with potential for 10% performance pay at the end of the fiscal year upon successful completion of key goals.
The Benefits: Full medical coverage, optional dental, flexible holiday and vacation plans, a yearly professional development stipend, opportunity for advancement, respectful managers, and supportive colleagues.