APCO is seeking an exceptional, confident leader to lead and grow APCO’s North Carolina and Southeast presence. Based in Raleigh, the Managing Director (MD) will set a vision for growth in the market that inspires and motivates staff, raises APCO’s visibility and presence with key audiences, increases interest among potential clients, and yields business success. The MD must have a proven track record in driving business growth from existing and winning new clients, and have a global perspective to business development.
The MD must successfully lead a diverse team in a “one bottom line,” full-service communications agency that works across offices and geographies with ease.
The MD develops and executes an annual strategic business plan built in partnership with a senior leadership team that focuses on sustained growth, staff development, and retention, balances cost, and revenue, retains clients and staff and supports an innovative culture and market-leading service offerings.
The Managing Director reports to the president of the North American region.
The success of the Managing Director will be measured against the following key criteria:
- Creates a positive reputation for APCO in the marketplace – local, regional and globally – and is recognized as an expert and thought leader.
- Authentically connects at the highest levels of business, government and nonprofits, and understands how these audiences intersect to build and protect reputation.
- Actively networks in the local and regional market to identify new business prospects and talent for the firm.
- Actively networks with global businesses with large U.S. presence or headquarters, primarily in the Southeast.
- Routinely leads and organizes teams around business development opportunities and manage proposal process ensuring quality of thinking, APCO’s work standards; and accurate scoping of work.
- Able to effectively cross-sell APCO’s full breadth of services and drives business across the geography.
- Interfaces and builds sustaining relationships with all levels of staff and external clients.
- Manages and develops a diverse team of employees, contractors, strategic partners and other affiliates ensuring APCO provides communications expertise across industries and sectors. A strong leader of people, effectively communicating and motivating others to excel.
- Plays a key role in talent development and recruitment.
- Demonstrates skill at negotiating and effectively resolves conflict both internally and externally.
- Confidently leads internal and client meetings, offering knowledgeable observations and suggestions; establishes credibility by insights shared; encourages and motivates others to communicate ideas.
- Creates a positive working environment founded on APCO’s vision and values, including an assertive commitment to and “one APCO” approach that facilitates seamless cross-office and cross-border collaboration.
- Actively works with colleagues and managers to propose and advance innovative ideas that will increase market share for the Raleigh office and the region.
Client Relationship Management
- Supports sustainable client relationships firm-wide as well as successfully leads client engagements while championing best practices and uniform service levels across the region.
- Helps advance client relationships effectively to build confidence in APCO as a trusted business partner, while preserving APCO’s interest in the business relationship.
- Ensures that APCO is appropriately positioned in sectors and service areas, and ensures appropriate levels of resourcing to meet client service needs.
Account and Project Management
- Successful at building cohesive client teams.
- Demonstrates capabilities of effective project management, constructively addresses and resolves issues, and educates others on how account engagements tie to APCO’s business management.
- Actively reaches out to leverage resources (people, systems, etc.) across the network and is supportive of others doing the same.
- Delivers results against business plan for region by setting goals, responsibly managing budgets and operations, and leading, managing and motivating staff.
- Routinely meets or exceeds revenue and growth targets for self and for the region.
- Brings agency management discipline and strategic thinking around scaling the business for future growth.
- Proactively identifies and attends external meetings and trainings to enhance sector knowledge and contacts; encourages staff members to do the same.
- Takes ownership of and actively engages in team member development; demonstrates thoughtful planning to increase individual skill sets by setting smart objectives and looking for opportunities that challenge them.
The ideal candidate will have a significant profile and network in the North Carolina market, specifically, and Southeast in general, with prior experience growing and leading an organization of similar size and scale to APCO.
He/she will be seen as a credible, trusted advisor to clients and will be comfortable in a content-driven business development environment. Additionally, he/she should also be an exemplary leader of people with a track record for building and directing high-performing teams. Prior agency or management consulting experience would be helpful.
- The successful candidate must possess a Bachelor’s degree. An advanced degree is preferred.
- At least 15-20 years of experience in communications/public affairs leadership positions. An individual who truly understands the intersection of corporate reputation and public policy, and whose hire would signal APCO’s continued relevance and importance in the marketplace.
- A primary focus in North Carolina and along the Southeast, but also able to see beyond this region and contribute globally.
- An executive who recognizes and possesses a deep understanding of “best in class” communications practices.
- Someone who thrives in an entrepreneurial, often ambiguous environment, and able to create and seize opportunities – and will help staff do the same. At same time, also able to build more structure and discipline as the needs require.
- An inspirational, charismatic personality. Someone who engages well with and motivates employees at all levels. An extroverted, high-energy individual who “walks the halls” and actively seeks new ways to build morale. Someone who lives and breathes passion and collaboration.
- A command of consulting capabilities. Someone who is substantive, smart and intellectually curious. He/she enjoys being challenged and pushed by colleagues. Someone who thinks in terms of integrated solutions and believes that the sum of ideas is better than his/her own in isolation. Someone who can credibly speak at the CEO level and teach others to do the same.
- A true leader and team builder with a high emotional IQ. An inclusive style that brings people along, irrespective of position or level.
- A brave and confident leader willing to engage in order to resolve conflict, encourages a diversity of thinking and seeks to drive consensus.
- The ability to balance market-facing responsibilities, including business development, with key internal leadership priorities.
- The ability to create high-trust relationships with internal senior leaders around the globe and lead teams with a sense of enterprise-wide goals.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
APCO Worldwide is a global communication consultancy. We help the most innovative organizations adapt and thrive in this fast-moving, interconnected and complex world. We do this for all types of organizations, in all industries and in all situations. We partner with clients to guide them through a changing, complex global environment, enabling them to reach their business and societal goals. We bring our clients' work to life creatively and digitally through diverse thinking and a campaign mentality that embraces a variety of integrated tactics to achieve success. Our work impacts bottom lines; creates and protects jobs; defines issues important to society; improves workplaces and communities; gains visibility for and gives voice to those who may not typically be heard; and much more. Simply put, our work is impactful, meaningful, and problem-solving or opportunity-creating. APCO is a majority employee- and women-owned business.
APCO Worldwide, named "Public Affairs Agency of the Year" 2017 “Best Large Agency to Work For” 2013-2014 and one of the “Top Places to Work in PR” by PRNews, offers a collegial work environment, countless training and development opportunities, and a competitive compensation and benefits package.