Consultant, Media Relations & PR
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record working closely with local and national media and a hunger to land great press for clients. Consultants support multiple accounts, lead campaigns for clients, and manage project teams. Never relegated to a single industry or client, our colleagues at APCO work across industries including tech, finance, consumer, government, health, trade, and beyond.
- Performs day-to-day strategic communications account work with assistance from junior and senior colleagues for our high profile, globally recognized clients.
- Leads media relations efforts, including cultivating relationships with media, drafting strategies, organizing and hosting press conferences, and more.
- Independently manages several small projects and engages with clients with support and supervision as needed.
- Manages client expectations, earning their respect, trust, and confidence through proactive account management to successfully maintain and grow client relationships.
- Develops and manages project programming, including implementation plans, staffing plans, budgets, timelines, and measurement/evaluation.
- Produces high-quality, client-ready written deliverables, such as press materials, messaging toolkits, social media strategies, and advocacy communications, often under tight deadlines.
- Integrates digital and social media tactics with overall communications strategy and constructs traditional and digital measurement deliverables upon request.
- Familiarity with a variety of social media tools and the metrics that drive success within those tools.
- Supports business development activities, including drafting of written proposals, developing new business presentations, and participating in pitch presentations.
- Articulates and applies agency vision, goals, practice areas, products, and overall capabilities.
- At least 4 years of PR / strategic communications, public affairs or media experience--agency experience is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Solid project management experience and a proven ability to manage multiple projects, client initiatives, and teams of both junior and senior colleagues in a fast-paced environment.
- Well-versed in current events and headline news at local, national, and international levels.
- Previous experience developing and supporting strategic communications (corporate or financial communications, issues management, internal communications, crisis communications, etc.) plans across various industries and subject areas (financial services, health care, food and consumer goods, technology, transportation, energy, etc.).
- Demonstrate exceptional presentation, writing, and analytical skills, including experience writing strategic plans, messaging and press materials, and the ability to write both strategically and creatively under tight deadlines.
- Excellent client and interpersonal skills; ability to manage independent client relationships and communicate effectively by phone, email, and in-person.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, media databases, and social media networks.
Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communications, stakeholder engagement and business strategy firm with offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia. APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and six of the top 10 companies on the Fortune 500. The firm is a majority women-owned business.