APCO Worldwide—a leading global communications consultancy—is looking for a dynamic public affairs/ communications professional to drive APCO’s public affairs/communications business by maintaining and developing client relationships. The role will be based in Tokyo with some domestic and international travel.
We are searching for an experienced consultant who is energetic, analytical and excited to manage significant portions of client projects. S/he will oversee tasks and workflow, prepare client-ready material, manage junior staff/teams, and engage in proposal development for new business. S/he will be a proven professional in public affairs/strategic communications with at least 5-8 years of relevant experience in managing projects within a consulting firm, PR or communications agency or in-house corporate communications experience.
- Manages projects independently and leads day-to-day client communication and coordination
- Produces excellent written deliverables in Japanese (N1 level) and English (business level), including client reports, proposals, and PowerPoint decks
- Strategist who understands the political system/communications landscape in Japan and can effectively advise and consult for clients, while also leading on execution
- Deep experience in government engagement/corporate and issue-focused media relations, digital communication and wider stakeholder engagement
- Effective at presenting to and working with clients and stakeholders outside of Japan
- Demonstrates ability to manage multiple projects/clients and sets high standards for client service
Note: this role will focus on corporate affairs, public affairs and strategic communications, not consumer PR or marketing communications.
- Strong consideration will be given to candidates with experience in health care or technology sectors. Additionally, preference will be given to candidates who have worked on advocacy, issues management, or in communicating around science and innovation.
LEADERSHIP & TEAM MANAGEMENT
- Manages client teams of 1 - 3 colleagues
- Supports team members’ development, and offers mentoring
- Promotes a healthy work environment based on respect and support of colleagues
- Entrepreneurial and drives initiatives that recognize and reward staff efforts/achievements
- Encourages and values individual differences, diverse ideas and experiences
- Actively participates new business pitches, contributing ideas and strategy
- Proposes innovative solutions and creative ideas for current and prospective clients
- Actively seeks opportunities for marketing APCO through thought leadership, networking, etc.
- Develops a network of professional contacts where s/he is identified as an expert on corporate and public affairs
QUALIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS:
EDUCATION: University degree or higher
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of 5-8 years relevant experience in a consulting firm, corporation, government organization, academic institution or diplomatic posting.
OFFICE ENVIRONMENT: The position will be based in APCO’s Tokyo office working alongside approximately 12 Japanese and international staff in Tokyo, and with a wider pool of global colleagues. Some local travel and occasional international travel may be required.