Health & Medical Writer
APCO Worldwide is seeking an experienced health and medical writer to join its growing health team. We are open to all North America office locations.
The medical writer works closely with cross-functional team members to ensure that materials produced by the agency for the pharmaceutical and life sciences industry and other scientific organizations are of the highest quality in terms of accuracy, utility, clarity, readability, and appeal. They will also be the day-to-day client contact for medium to large-sized editorial projects assigned to them or editorial lead on small accounts. Key to this role will be the quality of the written materials developed and the ability to work within deadlines and budgets.
About the Job
- Develop, copywrite, copyedit and/or fact-check a variety of promotional and educational materials for patients, consumers, physicians, policy makers, media and other healthcare professionals, from manuscript through print and/or digital production.
- Make scientific writing clear and precise.
- Ensure that facts, data, and scientific units are correct and have been used consistently; formatting text to comply with AMA guidelines as well as brand style.
- Support account teams, when needed, in researching medical references and article retrieval.
- Management and development of a range of editorial materials such as publications, meeting materials, slide kits, sharable social content and media resources—also included researching, writing and editing, with limited oversight.
- Keeping abreast of new developments within the health, life sciences and medical/scientific community and passing on of knowledge to the internal team and external clients, where appropriate.
Key Candidate Requirements
- Life sciences degree, preferably a higher degree
- At least 4-7 years of experience
- Demonstrable competence in scientific and commercial writing with the ability to adapt to different target audiences and styles
- Previous experience of working within the pharmaceutical/life sciences industry—in-house, at a medical communications agency, medical or academic institution, media outlet, etc.
- Knowledge of publications planning and experience of writing manuscripts
- A passion for medical/scientific topics and are eager to share your learnings
- Experience in a wide range of therapeutic and disease state areas
- Attention to detail and scientific accuracy
- Excellent time management and project organizational skills
APCO Worldwide is a global communication consultancy. We help the most innovative organizations adapt and thrive in this fast-moving, interconnected and complex world. We do this for all types of organizations, in all industries and in all situations. We partner with clients to guide them through a changing, complex global environment, enabling them to reach their business and societal goals. We bring our clients' work to life creatively and digitally through diverse thinking and a campaign mentality that embraces a variety of integrated tactics to achieve success. Our work impacts bottom lines; creates and protects jobs; defines issues important to society; improves workplaces and communities; gains visibility for and gives voice to those who may not typically be heard; and much more. Simply put, our work is impactful, meaningful, and problem-solving or opportunity-creating. APCO is a majority employee- and women-owned business.
APCO Worldwide, named "Public Affairs Agency of the Year" 2017 “Best Large Agency to Work For” 2013-2014 and one of the “Top Places to Work in PR” by PRNews, offers a collegial work environment, countless training and development opportunities, and a competitive compensation and benefits package.