Associate Director, Energy Policy & Communications
We have an immediate opportunity for an Energy Policy & Communications Associate Director to join our energy practice. In this role, you will manage the day-to-day client relationships for numerous projects, as well as help advise, build, and manage future efforts, with an emphasis on strategic communications and earned media campaigns, for clients in the energy sector.
- Lead advocacy campaigns for individual clients and multi-stakeholder coalitions, with responsibility for coordinating third-party outreach, earned and social media, staffing and budgets, and serving as the main client contact in many cases.
- Produce top-quality written materials including policy explainers and white papers, op-eds, strategy memos, advocacy talking points, etc.
- Manage day-to-day team for multi-state public affairs campaigns, directing and overseeing local teams working remotely across the country on grasstops outreach, grassroots mobilization, earned media, and social media advocacy.
- Identify and engage directly with reporters and third-party voices as needed to brief them on key developments, help educate them on policy issues, or to speak on the record as needed.
- Participate in opportunities for organic client growth and assist in the identification and pitching of new business opportunities.
- At least 6-8 years of experience working on advocacy campaigns, energy policy and/or communications issues, and/or political campaign management.
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to manage diverse teams across geographies.
- Publishable writing skills, with an emphasis on persuasive advocacy writing. Applicants will be asked to submit a portfolio of advocacy writing samples.
- Firsthand experience with social media advocacy campaigns, including an understanding of best practices for audience targeting and grassroots activation.
- Detailed understanding of current energy policy debates.
- Staff experience in House/Senate offices or at relevant federal agencies is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, at minimum; a law degree or public policy graduate degree and experience practicing in the energy and/or campaign space is a significant advantage.
Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communication and business strategy firm with offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and many top Fortune 500 companies. The firm is a majority women-owned business.
APCO Worldwide, named one of the Best Agencies to Work For in North America by PRovoke Media for four consecutive years and a 2020 Top Places to Work in PR by PRNews, offers a collegial work environment, countless training and development opportunities, and a competitive compensation and benefits package.