The APCO Experience is about challenging convention and challenging yourself.
APCO Worldwide is looking for a mid-level consultant to support new business efforts; partner with clients to develop, launch and optimize their business strategies; and build media and digital capacity of staff in the Chicago office. You will be joining colleagues who are open, collaborative, diverse and curious.
Clients come to us to help solve challenging problems, create new ideas and campaigns, and connect with others. We believe in the power of communication to affect change and we are excited by purposeful work. Our team includes corporate communications and public affairs consultants engaged on some of the most challenging issues facing our clients and society. The successful candidate will have the flexibility and adaptability to integrate on client teams.
- Manage portions of large client projects or managing small client projects independently, preparing client-ready materials for delivery (i.e. summary reports, press releases, credentials, proposals) and reviewing the work product of junior team members
- Collaborate on and execute day-to-day client project work and produce quality client deliverables
- Direct and manage junior staff in the execution of appropriate media and digital activities
- Support new business development
- Contribute to digital strategy engagements with a strong focus on analytics, meaningful digital experiences and well-coordinated influencer engagement
- Develop research queries and analyze resulting data to produce novel, informed ways of addressing a client’s questions and/or of accessing consumer opinion
- Develop integrated content strategies and narratives that demonstrate a robust understanding of traditional, digital and social media platforms, target audiences and measurement
- Work cross-functionally with other strategy colleagues, client partners, discipline leads, and other internal partners
- Create key messages and themes to best tell client stories and support the client marketing and business plans
- Develop relationships with key reporters in business, consumer, and trade media
- Manage press inquiries and interview requests, draft company responses in conjunction with company leadership, and conduct pitch calls
- Create thought leadership plan and execute through a collaboration with key staff to develop robust content for placement in traditional and social media, including articles, blog posts, videos, infographics, tweets, etc.
- Identify and monitor any emerging or current communications or reputational issues and manage company response in conjunction with company leadership
- Write and distribute press releases and op/eds
- Create strategic media lists, including familiarity with media database software
- 4-6 years of relevant strategy-driven experience in corporate communications and/or public affairs earned in a corporation, professional services firm, media, public service, or political campaign;
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a related field;
- Exceptional writing and analytical skills, and the ability to write both strategically and creatively under tight deadlines, strong presentation skills;
- Understanding of and experience with pitching, placing stories and commentary in traditional and social media (social networks, blogs, etc.) outlets;
- Understanding and familiarity of digital strategy engagements with a strong focus on analytics, meaningful digital experiences and well-coordinated influencer engagement;
- Demonstrate experience and passion for traditional, digital and social media including media monitoring and database and research tools
- Project management experience
- Good team player, research and organizational skills a definite must, keen to learn, proactive attitude
Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communications, stakeholder engagement and business strategy firm with offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia. APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and six of the top 10 companies on the Fortune 500. The firm is a majority women-owned business.
APCO Worldwide, named “Best Large Agency to Work For” and one of the “Top Places to Work in PR” by PRNews, offers a collegial work environment, countless training and development opportunities, and a competitive compensation and benefits package.