Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communication and business strategy firm with more than 30 offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia – with a diverse global team of more than 750 experts.
APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and six of the top 10 companies on the Fortune 500. The firm is a majority women-owned business and has been named the “Best EMEA Network to Work For, 2017” and “Public Affairs Agency of the Year, 2017” by the Holmes Report.
APCO Worldwide is seeking a Resourcing Manager to be based in our office, to deliver best-in-class resourcing for our offices/practice areas. The Resourcing Manager will partner with MDs and Practice Leads, client and new business opportunity leaders to provide full operational and strategic resourcing support, as required by the business, for multiple markets.
This role is designed to add business value to the company by maximizing the efficiency and effectiveness of the process of deploying staff, yielding stronger utilization and realization, ensuring client needs are met, and driving retention by ensuring staff are meeting their professional development goals. The role will work closely with the Regional Resourcing Director, Finance and Talent teams to ensure open lines of communication on staff strength, areas of improvement and partner on developing recommendations for adjusting capacity to ensure the business is hitting its utilization and realization goals.
This role reports to the Regional Resourcing Director.
- Strategic oversight of the deployment of all staff in the offices/practice areas that you support with a wide variety of skillsets and capabilities
- Assist APCO in becoming more agile, providing the right people on the right projects at the right time to optimize headcount, increase utilization and positively impact employee engagement
- Drive medium and longer-term workforce planning for the offices and practices in your remit
- Develop a deep understanding of the region’s growth plans and strategic focus and the headcount to support these
- Allocate teams with the right balance of skills and experience (factoring in individual strengths, development points, team needs, personalities and client profitability)
- Contribute to an efficient staffing process, leading to balanced and optimized teams, and a feeling of equity in effort and opportunity among the staff
- Be accountable to the Regional Resourcing Director for all deployment and planning in your offices and practice groups, including the resourcing of new business pitches and proposals
- Anticipate the issues and concerns of stakeholders and providing strategic advice and support
- Provide long-term and sustainable solutions to the business, whilst also balancing short-term business priorities
- Be proactive in relation to global supply and demand challenges and opportunities of deployment, working closely with resourcing peers
- Proactive communication with Regional Resourcing Director, MDs, Practice Leads and Finance and Talent team on staffing optimization and innovative ways to source roles, as well as highlighting any resourcing issues or risks to the business
- Develop positive working relationships and drive collaboration across the firm
- Develop a deep understanding of individual development goals of staff you are supporting and deploy those staff members in ways that help them reach those goals
- Engage and promote the use of key resourcing systems to enable effective and efficient resourcing outcomes
- Interpret and analyze data to provide trends, make connections and spot opportunities to improve profitability, networking internally and externally to advise the business on resourcing options and solutions.
- Delivering outcomes that build strong relationships by taking into account the different needs of multiple stakeholders, balancing the needs of individuals and those of the business
- Anticipating and recognizing when conflict may occur and work to resolve these through supporting and escalating where required.
Key Performance Indicators
- Balanced utilization totals for staff, which in aggregate meet financial targets
- Positive impact on realization rates for billable time
- Responsive and efficient staff deployment, yielding high rates of satisfaction among client and new business leaders
- Positive feedback from staff under management and reduced levels of voluntary departures
- Degree in a related field desired
- Excellent teamwork and relationship building skills
- Strategic, forward planning approach, commercially astute
- Strong analytical skills
- Agile thinking and innovative problem solving
- Understands and empathizes with client demands
- Comfortable dealing with ambiguity
- Proactive, highly motivated and results focused
- Previous experience in similar role in a consulting/service firm desired
- Promote resource management as an integral partner, driving the success of the business
- Conflict resolution
- Some travel will be required
APCO Worldwide is an advisory and advocacy communications consultancy helping leading public and private sector organizations act with agility, and build organizational reputations, brands, relationships and solutions to succeed. APCO is an independent and majority women-owned business.
Most importantly, we are a trusted partner to our clients. We help them anticipate, plan, execute and secure impact through our curiosity, insights and diverse expertise. Our clients benefit from APCO leaders who have the pulse of the dynamically changing global environment that defines the marketplace; the first-hand experience of having faced significant issues or opportunities; the ability to harness the power of data, insights and technology; and the passion to deliver unparalleled results.
Our expertise and integrated approach enable us to provide a full range of services, across industry sectors and global markets, allowing us to offer effective counsel and programs for boards of directors and CEOs. We meet the evolving needs of executives and their teams in communications, public affairs, government relations, legal, risk, organizational transformation, international relations, corporate responsibility and brand marketing. We measure success in the transformations we help to catalyze, our clients’ impact on society and their continued profitable growth.