About APCO Worldwide
APCO Worldwide is an advisory and advocacy communications consultancy helping public and private sector organizations act with agility, and build organizational reputations, brands, relationships and solutions to succeed.
Europe Finance team
The Europe Finance team is based in London and provides financial accounting and management accounting services to all of the Europe region’s offices.
The Management Accountant will be responsible for the financial accounting of various European entities. In addition, the person in this role will be required to reconcile the project balance sheet accounts for regional large projects across multiple entities across Europe. These may change according to the business requirements.
The Management Accountant will be required to follow all Corporate Policies and Procedures, ensuring each office is meeting required statutory procedures, is in compliance with US SEC regulations and following US GAAP accounting for internal reporting and local GAAP for statutory reporting, and is adequately protecting the assets of APCO. APCO uses NetSuite as its accounting system but is moving to Maconomy shortly.
The Management Accountant will report to the Finance Director, Europe to deliver financial reporting and with a dotted line to the Managing Directors of assigned offices.
Key responsibilities would include:
- Ensure that all accounting processes are operating effectively for European entities as required;
- Manage each entities’ balance sheets, ensuring accuracy and that all accounts are understood and reconciled each month;
- Manage month-end closes and ensure that deadlines are met, ensuring that the ‘Europe close schedule’ is followed, all month end Netsuite processes are run and signed off and that a monthly managements file is produced containing all supporting documentation. Produce draft P&L’s & Balance Sheets timely and accurately;
- Ensure that monthly results are communicated effectively to the relevant MD’s and that appropriate schedules/reports are shared with external accountants;
- Make recommendations on provisions;
- Reconcile the statutory accounts to the management accounts for various European offices;
- Manage all audits, both internally from corporate and externally from tax agencies for assigned offices;
- Review and chase debtors;
- Ensure that Inter-company reconciliations are maintained each month and are accurate;
- Review weekly cash flows for each entity and work with the Europe Finance Director to ensure that aged debts are collected in a timely basis;
- Manage and control overhead costs for assigned offices. Ensure expenses are in accordance with APCO policies and procedures, are appropriately budgeted, adhere to US SEC reporting requirements and have the required back up for US GAAP accounting;
- Assist with responses to RFP’s;
- Respond as needed, directly to outside client requests;
- Handle client budget tracking as appropriate. Ensure that all project files are adequately maintained. Oversee the billing process and ensure that billing is issued timely and accurately;
- Ensure that statutory accounts and tax returns are produced in a timely and accurate fashion;
- Coordinate the preparation of all required tax returns for VAT, payroll and other regional taxes with the local accounting team;
- Manage local banking relationships and ensure company policy related to signature levels is being complied with.
APCO is a global strategic communications and public affairs consultancy business, so the requirements are based on the core need for considerable experience in the Professional Services industry:
- Desired qualified Accountant (ACA/ACCA/CIMA or equivalent) with at least 2 years PQE, or qualified by at least 10 years’ experience, of which significant experience must have been in the Professional Services sector;
- Degree Educated – 1st or 2nd (or equivalent) from a leading university – and able to demonstrate that they are a: self-starter, energetic, and proactive;
- Fluent English language skills
- Good French,German, Italian language skills desirable
- Used to hitting tight reporting deadlines with an eye for accuracy and completeness;
- Demonstrable experience in developing processes and controls in a finance function;
- Good working knowledge of Job Costing systems and Work In Progress management;
- Experience and practical understanding of financial requirements in various European countries;
- Effective relationship building and communication skills;
- Systems literate and very good with Excel;
- Good working knowledge of European VAT;
- Ready for a challenge.
APCO is recognised as one of the best agencies to work for in our industry, providing:
- A collegial and collaborative working environment, where you will work closely with colleagues from offices around the world
- The opportunity to visit and work from our other global offices
- Significant opportunities to develop professionally, with extensive training and personal development programmes including a global exchange programme
- A competitive compensation and benefits package, including health & wellness benefits
Please note that due to the high number of applications we receive, we will only be contacting successful candidates.