Associate Director, Strategic Partnerships
Reporting to the Global Head, Multiplier Partnerships & Global Platforms in New York, this position will play a key role in oversight and coordination of projects for a diverse set of clients, and support of strategic initiatives around global platform events and organizations including UN General Assembly, World Economic Forum and others. The selected candidate must have the ability to lead teams, manage competing priorities and deadlines, and ensure flawless client support under tight deadlines while staying abreast of current events at the national and international level.
- Lead day-to-day public affairs, communications, issues and advocacy account work, with assistance from more junior and senior colleagues, for our high profile, globally recognized clients
- Leverage consulting/policy/public affairs/communications background to provide the highest level of client service on key projects, tailoring global partnership strategy and assets to various global client need
- Manage clients’ expectations, earning their respect, trust and confidence through proactive account management to successfully maintain and grow client relationships
- Develop and manage project programming, including implementation plans, staffing plans, budgets, timelines and measurement/evaluation
- Support engagement with external stakeholders that may include media, policy, NGO and business leaders, supporting both client and global partnerships team efforts
- Produce high-quality, client-ready written deliverables, such as press materials, messaging toolkits, social media strategies, and advocacy communications, often under tight deadline
- Manage day-to-day activities to support team and client mobilization around global platform events and initiatives
- Monitor and stay abreast of external developments in key client issue areas, and identify opportunities for further client engagement
- Collaborate with internal teams across practice areas and geographies and lead on new business development initiatives (including drafting of written proposals, developing new business presentations and participating in pitch presentations), supporting the multiplier partnerships & global platforms team
Qualifications & Standards
- A minimum of 6-10 years of relevant experience – consulting, international organizations, agency or in-house experience is a plus
- Must be well-versed in and curios about global agenda setting events, international developments and news at local, national, and international levels
- Bachelor’s / Master’s degree from an accredited university in International Affairs, Business, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, Communications, or other related field
- Solid project management experience and a proven ability to manage multiple projects and client initiatives and teams of both junior and senior colleagues in a fast-paced environment
- Previous experience developing and supporting public affairs / strategic communications (corporate communications, issues management, internal communications, crisis communications, etc.) plans across various industries and subject areas (healthcare, retail, technology, food & consumer goods, energy, etc.)
- Excellent client and interpersonal skills; ability to manage independent client relationships and communicate effectively by phone, email, and in-person
- Beyond familiarity with the basics (Microsoft products/platforms, media databases and social media networks), design and visual storytelling skills are a big plus
- Documented success coordinating conferences and large-scale external events convening global audiences
- Exceptional presentation, writing and analytical skills with the ability to think strategically and creatively under tight deadlines
- Proficiency and understanding of variety of social media tools and the metrics that drive success within those tools
APCO Worldwide is an advisory and advocacy communications consultancy helping leading public and private sector organizations act with agility, and build organizational reputations, brands, relationships and solutions to succeed. APCO is an independent and majority women-owned business.
Most importantly, we are a trusted partner to our clients. We help them anticipate, plan, execute and secure impact through our curiosity, insights and diverse expertise.
Our clients benefit from APCO leaders who have the pulse of the dynamically changing global environment that defines the marketplace; the first-hand experience of having faced significant issues or opportunities; the ability to harness the power of data, insights and technology; and the passion to deliver unparalleled results.
Our expertise and integrated approach enable us to provide a full range of services, across industry sectors and global markets, allowing us to offer effective counsel and programs for boards of directors and CEOs. We meet the evolving needs of executives and their teams in communications, public affairs, government relations, legal, risk, organizational transformation, international relations, corporate responsibility and brand marketing.
We measure success in the transformations we help to catalyze, our clients’ impact on society and their continued profitable growth.