Director, Telecom Policy Campaigns
Director, Telecom Policy Campaigns—Washington, DC (remote applicants considered)
We have an immediate opportunity for a Telecom Policy Campaign Director to join our Campaigns and Advocacy practice in Washington, D.C. In this role, you will help advise, build, and manage advocacy campaigns, with an emphasis on strategic communications and earned media campaigns, for corporate and trade association clients in the technology, telecom, and media industries.
- Manage advocacy campaigns for individual clients and multi-stakeholder coalitions, with responsibility for third-party outreach, earned and social media, managing staffing and budgets, and serving as the main client contact in some cases.
- Produce top-quality written materials including policy explainers and white papers, op-eds, strategy memos, advocacy talking points, etc.
- Manage multi-state public affairs campaigns, directing and overseeing local teams working remotely across the country on grasstops outreach, grassroots mobilization, earned media, and social media advocacy.
- Identify and engage directly with reporters and third-party voices as needed to brief them on key developments, help educate them on policy issues, or to speak on the record as needed.
- Participate in opportunities for organic client growth and assist in the identification and pitching of new business opportunities.
- At least 10 years of experience working on advocacy campaigns, telecom policy issues, and/or political campaign management.
- Publishable writing skills, with an emphasis on persuasive advocacy writing. Applicants will be asked to submit a portfolio of advocacy writing samples.
- Firsthand experience with social media advocacy campaigns, including an understanding of best practices for audience targeting and grassroots activation.
- Detailed understanding of current telecom and technology policy debates.
- Senior staff experience in House/Senate offices or at relevant federal agencies is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, at minimum; a law degree or public policy graduate degree and experience practicing in the tech or telecom space is a significant advantage.
APCO Worldwide, named one of the Best Agencies to Work For in North America by PRovoke Media for four consecutive years and a 2020 Top Places to Work in PR by PRNews, offers a collegial work environment, countless training and development opportunities, and a competitive compensation and benefits package.