Opinion Research Manager, Health Care – APCO Insight
APCO Insight®, the strategic research consultancy within global communication firm APCO Worldwide, is seeking a Research Manager, Health Care to join its team in Washington, D.C., New York, Chicago or Raleigh. APCO Insight®, the strategic research consultancy within global communication firm APCO Worldwide, is seeking a Research Manager, Health Care to join its team in Washington, D.C., New York, Chicago or Raleigh.
The Research Manager, Health Care will be responsible for executing and overseeing research studies on behalf of the agency or its clients. This hands-on position includes day-to-day management of quantitative and qualitative research studies. Core competencies include developing research protocols, managing the overall timeline and team collaboration, overseeing external data collection partners, ensuring the accuracy and integrity of data collected, analyzing information collected, and reporting findings. While this is predominantly an opinion research position, APCO Insight is also involved in assignments employing secondary research techniques, digital and social media research, data analytics, artificial intelligence and machine learning.
A successful candidate will have proven research project management skills; exceptional attention to detail; strong time management, organizational and problem-solving skills; interest in driving process optimization efforts; adaptability to work among teams of varying levels; and out-of-the-box thinking capacity. Moreover, candidates outside of the Washington, D.C. area must be comfortable working remotely and independently from an APCO office with a supervisor and support team located elsewhere.
• Make recommendations to support opinion research studies using qualitative, quantitative or other research methods;
•Support the design of research studies, through such activities as survey questionnaire and focus group discussion guide construction, sample design, data collection management, analysis planning, data analysis and reporting;
• Communicate effectively with internal teams to plan projects, set expectations, and create project deliverables;
• Manage domestic and/or international research projects;
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with tight deadlines;
• Oversee and coordinate with external data collection partners;
• Participate in the creation of analysis plans;
• Coordinate data reporting needs including the creation of crosstabulation banners, custom PowerPoint slides, narrative memos and online dashboards;
• Oversee development of dashboard visualizations;
• Conduct and/or guide ad-hoc analysis to leverage the dataset to answer specific questions;
• Use SPSS, R and other tools and techniques for data analysis;
• Cultivate a comprehensive knowledge of internal capabilities and processes;
• Lead efforts to improve processes including data integration, processing, and visualization;
• Ensure best-in-class quality deliverables for client;
• Support account managers; and,
• Mentor research analysts.
• 4-7 years of relevant public opinion research, brand insights or market research or equivalent experience;
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a related field;
• Master's degree and/or graduate work in a relevant field (survey research, mathematics, statistics, sociology, psychology, political science, public affairs) is preferred, but not required;
• Proven facility with descriptive and inferential statistical methods (multivariate analyses preferred but not required);
• Thorough knowledge of SPSS, R, STATA, SAS or other social science analytical tools;
• Proficiency with visualization tools, such as Tableau or Power BI;
• Experience with programming languages such as Python, Java, C++ or SQL;
• Uncompromising attention to detail;
• Ability to draw insights from data and communicate them – either in narrative or visuals - in a compelling way to a reader;
• Strong ability to communicate effectively at all levels;
• Entrepreneurial spirit and collaborative team inclination; and,
• Ability to work independently and be a self-starter, take initiative and set priorities.
Furthermore, the ideal candidate will have some experience working on public affairs issues management, crisis/issues management, corporate reputation, brand strategy or thought leadership. A specific interest in health care and health topics is also preferred, but not required; this position will be focused on research in the health sector.
Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communication and business strategy firm with offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and many top Fortune 500 companies. The firm is a majority women-owned business.
APCO Worldwide, named one of the Best Agencies to Work For in North America by PRovoke Media for four consecutive years and a 2020 Top Places to Work in PR by PRNews, offers a collegial work environment, countless training and development opportunities, and a competitive compensation and benefits package.