As an Associate Director, you will have the opportunity to work across disciplines, including corporate communication, crisis and issues, corporate social responsibility, media relations and stakeholder engagement, and digital/social media. With access to multiple sector practices, including food and consumer products, healthcare, tech, financial, energy, education and non-profit sectors, your responsibilities would include ensuring organic growth across key accounts, managing a team of junior executives, engaging with senior management on service enhancements, and encouraging learning and development across teams.
- Independently manages client relationships effectively
- Organizes teams around business development opportunities and manages proposal process ensuring quality of thinking, APCO’s work standards; and accurate scoping of work
- The Associate Director is responsible for identifying the strategy which supports the client’s objectives, developing communication plans, properly scoping and pricing work, as well as managing work activities and resources within agreed upon budgets.
- Develops positive reputation and has visibility within the APCO network and may also be viewed as a thought leader in the market
- Confidently leads internal and client meetings, offering knowledgeable observations and suggestions; establishing credibility by insights shared; encouraging and motivating others to communicate ideas
- Serves as principal client contact; knows when to leverage senior level relationships within APCO to further build the relationship within the client organization
- Actively networks to identify new business prospects as routine activity
- Consistently demonstrates APCO’s values in all interactions with colleagues, vendors and clients
- Proactively identifies external meetings and trainings to attend to enhance sector knowledge and contacts
- Demonstrates an understanding of effective project management, can effectively address issues, and understands how managing account engagements tie to APCO’s business success and makes changes as necessary to improve account performance
- Participates in annual business planning, forecasting opportunity with clients managed
- Takes ownership and actively engages in team member development; demonstrating thoughtful planning to increase individual skill sets by setting smart objectives
- Meets or exceeds assigned utilization/ABP targets
- Demonstrates performance in growing clients organically and actively pursues new opportunities with prospects
- Shares opportunities across the network looking for the best resources to service the account(s)
Qualifications & Standards
- Ideally, a minimum of 6-9 years of PR/strategic communications, public affairs or media experience – agency experience is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a related field or equivalent
- Solid project management experience and a proven ability to manage multiple projects and client initiatives and teams of both junior and senior colleagues in a fast-paced environment
- Previous experience developing and leading strategic communications (corporate communications, issues management, internal communications, crisis communications, etc.) plans across various industries and subject areas (healthcare, food and consumer goods, travel, technology, transportation, energy, etc.)
- Demonstrate exceptional writing and analytical skills, including experience writing strategic plans, messaging and press materials and the ability to write both strategically and creatively under tight deadlines
- Excellent client and interpersonal skills; ability to manage independent client relationships and communicate effectively by phone, email, and in-person
Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independent global communication and business strategy firm with more than 30 offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia – and a diverse global team of more than 800 experts.
APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and six of the top 10 companies on the Fortune 500. The firm is a majority women-owned business and has been named the “Best Place to Work, 2018” by PRWeek and the “Global Public Affairs Agency of the Year, 2018” by the Holmes Report.
The Middle East region is home to over 200 APCO consultants who speak more than 30 languages. APCO works with large governments, semi-government organizations and major corporate entities to manage their reputations and navigate one of the most complex political and socioeconomic landscapes in the world.
Across the region, APCO consistently delivers innovative solutions for clients, including BOT (build-operate-transfer) expertise and License to Operate services. The Middle East offices also drive the ‘APCO AI Comms Lab’, a first-of-its-kind innovation center that utilizes artificial intelligence to build and protect the reputations of major global brands, governments and organizations.