APCO Worldwide - a leading global communications and strategy consultancy - is seeking an exceptional mid-to-senior level consulting professional (Senior Consultant / Associate Director) in Shanghai who will report directly to the Managing Director and interface with all levels of staff with the following primary responsibilities:
- Serves as the primary client contact and engages clients professionally and effectively to address issues and manage expectations
- Manages project teams, delegates tasks appropriately, develops and reviews client deliverables to ensure high quality standards under minimal supervision of an account leader
- Plans, organizes and leads internal and client meetings efficiently
- Provides strategy consultancy and execution support to clients with a focus on government relations, stakeholder engagement, crisis management and thought leadership building
- Conducts and guides research, develops plans and presentations, properly scoping and pricing work, as well as managing work activities and resources within agreed upon budgets.
- Maintains an awareness of macro business and industry issues related to client business and proactively offers clients insights and suggestions
Leadership & Team Management
- Manages client teams of 2 - 4 colleagues, develops team members’ skills, and offers feedback and mentoring.
- Promotes a healthy work environment based on respect and support of colleagues.
- Entrepreneurial and drives initiatives that recognize and reward people’s efforts/achievements.
- Encourages and values individual differences, diverse ideas and experiences.
- Establishes a strong network across APCO’s 30+ offices and engage sin productive exchanges with colleagues to promote knowledge sharing, business opportunities, and resources.
- Analyzes potential client needs, proposes innovative solutions and creative ideas, identify ways to expand client engagement to retain and grow existing clients
- Supports new business development by developing high quality credentials, proposals and pitch documents and participating in pitches as a key presenter
- Actively identifying and participating in external events to build sector knowledge and seeks opportunities for marketing APCO through thought leadership and networking activities
Requirements & qualifications:
Education: Bachelor’s degree or above
Experience: Minimum of 6-8 years of working experience in public affairs for a consulting firm, corporation or diplomatic organization;
- Familiarity with China’s political system and keen interest in topics relating to policy development
- Has experience navigating central, provincial and city government and policy, as well as engaging other critical stakeholders (e.g. media, international policy elites, academics, think tanks) to develop effective programs for multinational companies.
- Strong analytical skills and solid project management experience
- Collaborative team player that also has the ability to work independently, take initiative and set priorities
Languages: Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills and has fluency in English and Chinese.
The position will be based in APCO’s Shanghai office working alongside approximately 30 Chinese and international colleagues and a staff of more than 50 people across Greater China. Domestic and occasional international travel is a requirement of the job.
APCO Worldwide is an advisory and advocacy communications consultancy helping leading public and private sector organizations act with agility, and build organizational reputations, brands, relationships and solutions to succeed.
Our expertise and integrated approach enable us to provide a full range of services, across industry sectors and global markets, allowing us to offer effective counsel and programs for boards of directors and CEOs. We meet the evolving needs of executives and their teams in communications, public affairs, government relations, legal, risk, organizational transformation, international relations, corporate responsibility and brand marketing.
APCO IN GREATER CHINA
Having entered the China market as one of the first consultancies in 1989, APCO has helped a wide range of organizations succeed in this complex but rewarding environment. We are keenly sensitive to changes in the political, regulatory and business landscape across China and advise business, government and non-profit organizations on issues critical to their success through our offices in Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong.
We provide our clients with business advisory and public affairs offerings ranging from market entry strategy and government relations to risk assessment. Our strategic communications expertise in crisis management, media engagement and digital communications help our clients protect and enhance their reputation in this fast-moving market.
Our multilingual, cross-cultural team of more than 50 is made up of professionals from a diverse range of backgrounds, including business, government, journalism, academia and non-profit. This breadth of experience and perspective allows us to provide integrated solutions tailored to the specific goals of our clients.