Associate Director, Technology Policy
At APCO, you will work closely with colleagues across multiple disciplines and around the world to help advise, build, and manage advocacy campaigns in the tech and telecom sectors on behalf of clients ranging from Fortune 50 global companies and leading trade associations to small startups and advocacy non-profits. You’ll have an opportunity to apply a deep policy knowledge on technology and communications law in advocacy campaigns that combine strategic communications, media engagement, stakeholder outreach and mobilization, social media advocacy, and client management. You’ll be right in the thick of the most consequential tech policy debates of our era, pressing for policy solutions that promote innovation, protect competition, and advance the digital economy.
- Independently manage smaller advocacy campaigns or collaborate on the management of larger campaigns, serving as a primary client lead in some cases
- Develop and manage campaign strategies for both individual clients and multi-stakeholder coalitions, including communications plans, third-party outreach efforts, staffing plans and budgets, timelines and measurement/evaluation
- Coordinate across multiple internal teams – such as out in-house research, social media, creative, and media relations teams – to incorporate their skill-sets into overall campaign strategy and ensure flawless execution of the client’s priorities
- Take the lead on writing projects ranging from op-ed drafts to explainers and messaging documents to advocacy letters and social media content
- Engage directly with reporters and third-party voices as needed, such as to brief them on key developments, help educate them on background on weedy policy issues, or to speak on the record as needed
- Manage client expectations while maintaining our firm’s unwavering standards for honesty and ethics, earning clients’ respect, trust and confidence
- Keep the team appropriately informed and involved in projects; ensure projects run smoothly, and help team members feel empowered, respected, and educated
- Assist in the identification and pitching of new business opportunities
- At least 5-7 years of experience working in public policy, political campaign management, communications, telecom law, and/or on Capitol Hill or at relevant federal agencies.
- A deep familiarity with technology and telecom policy issues including antitrust enforcement, digital privacy, intellectual property, broadband policy, spectrum policy, or related issues.
- A proven network of relationships among stakeholder and third-party advocates in this space (such as academic experts and think tanks, advocacy organizations, civil society groups, etc.) and/or experience in managing stakeholder coalitions in a legislative, regulatory, or political campaign setting.
- Excellent writing skills are a must, with an emphasis on an ability to communicate complex policy issues in accessible, plain-English terms. On-the-record media experience is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, at minimum; a law degree or public policy graduate degree and experience practicing in the tech or telecom space is a significant advantage.
- Excellent client and interpersonal skills; ability to manage independent client relationships and communicate effectively by phone, email, and in-person
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects and junior team members, as well as prioritize and multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Strong presentation skills
APCO Worldwide is an advisory and advocacy communications consultancy helping leading public and private sector organizations act with agility, and build organizational reputations, brands, relationships and solutions to succeed. APCO is an independent and majority women-owned business.
Most importantly, we are a trusted partner to our clients. We help them anticipate, plan, execute and secure impact through our curiosity, insights and diverse expertise.
Our clients benefit from APCO leaders who have the pulse of the dynamically changing global environment that defines the marketplace; the first-hand experience of having faced significant issues or opportunities; the ability to harness the power of data, insights and technology; and the passion to deliver unparalleled results.
Our expertise and integrated approach enable us to provide a full range of services, across industry sectors and global markets, allowing us to offer effective counsel and programs for boards of directors and CEOs. We meet the evolving needs of executives and their teams in communications, public affairs, government relations, legal, risk, organizational transformation, international relations, corporate responsibility and brand marketing.
We measure success in the transformations we help to catalyze, our clients’ impact on society and their continued profitable growth.
APCO Worldwide, named "Public Affairs Agency of the Year" 2017 “Best Large Agency to Work For” 2013-2014 and one of the “Top Places to Work in PR” by PRNews, offers a collegial work environment, countless training and development opportunities, and a competitive compensation and benefits package.