Director of Financial Planning and Analysis
Another Source’s client, San Jose State University, is recruiting a Director of Financial Planning and Analysis to join their team. Please note, internally this role is title “Director of Budget Planning & Financial Management”.
Here’s a little about San Jose State University and the position they are recruiting for:
San Jose State University is a destination for dreamers, innovators and high achievers. Our campus sees countless new discoveries every day—from faculty members cutting-edge research to students who discover new passions in the classroom. SJSU boasts a rich and diverse student body with students from different backgrounds including local standouts, first-generation students, ethnically diverse students, and international students.
The University is proud to offer a generous compensation and benefits package all in an environment where personal and professional development is encouraged. San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Director of Financial Planning and Analysis for SJSU leads a small high energy team providing financial partnership to units across all functions of the university. The Budget & Financial Management team provides analysis to support strategic decisions, conducts financial reviews of a wide range of business issues and leads financial processes such as planning, forecasting, and reporting. The Director reports to the Senior Associate Vice President for Finance & Business Services and is a member of the Finance & Business Services Leadership Team. SJSU’s annual operating budget totals more than $500 million.
- Lead the annual institutional financial planning and reporting processes- 30%
- Manage University Resources- 25%
- Ensure Compliance with Budget and Financial Policies- 20%
- Leadership & Staff Development- 20%
- Ad Hoc Projects and Other Duties as Assigned- 5%
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of financial planning and analysis concepts and approaches
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and the ability to learn governmental fund accounting
- Thorough knowledge, or ability to learn California State University’s budget philosophy, methodology, and budget processes
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with demonstrated ability to clearly convey complex financial topics appropriate to the intended audience (senate, cabinet, student groups, etc.)
- Highly skilled in using technological tools to gather and present data, including Microsoft Office products (or similar), data warehouse applications, and budgeting software
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment
- Ability to supervise staff and lead teams
- Ability to interpret technical procedures or regulations
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals
- Ability to effective present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, customers and the general public
- Five years of full-time experience in financial planning and analysis, or five years of full-time experience managing program budgets in excess of $100 million
- Two years of supervisory experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Master’s in business, finance or economics
- Higher education financial management experience
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
Another Source works with their clients, on a retained project basis, to maximize the recruiting process.