Another Source’s client, Stanford University, is recruiting a Finance Manager to join their Pre-Collegiate Studies team.
Here’s a little about the Pre-Collegiate Studies Program at Stanford and the position they are recruiting for:
Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies (SPCS) is an innovative center for pre-collegiate education committed to Stanford’s ideals of academic excellence and respect for diversity of backgrounds and experiences. SPCS brings together intellectually curious students from around the world in engaging learning communities designed to foster critical thinking, promote personal growth, and inspire dedication to lifelong learning in the next generation of global citizens. SPCS oversees the Stanford Online High School, a highly selective independent school offering courses for grades 7-12, and SPCS offers a variety of residential summer programs which provide academic enrichment experiences for over 2000 students from around the world each year.
Manage staff responsible for finance and control functions and manage day to day finance operations for Stanford Pre-Collegiate Programs.
Manage the work of other employees, make hiring decisions, provide coaching and mentoring, manage performance, contribute to succession planning within area of responsibility.
- Manage a team that provides a wide range of financial and business operations support to Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies programs, and the Stanford Online High School.
- Provide leadership and coaching to all staff handling financial tasks within the SPCS programs.
- Develop and direct financial training for contingent residential staff, hired annually.
Establish overall objectives or direction for a unit, project, or operational area. Plan, direct, and monitor all budgets for areas of responsibility, and manage business operation and administration of a functional unit or area; may lead a team in providing post award sponsored research administration and services.
- Establish financial and budget practices of the Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies and Online High School unit, encompassing approximately a dozen academic programs.
- Oversee the unit’s ongoing reconciliation processes and fiscal year end activities, providing direction for staff handling financial activities.
Identify and resolve complex issues which may span multiple areas, apply ingenuity and creativity to problem analysis and resolution.
- Evaluate and recommend changes to SPCS programs’ chart of accounts, continually evaluating alignment of the chart of accounts with programmatic operations/goals, and University reporting requirements.
- Identify and resolve issues with processes that underlie funding for the programs.
Oversee report preparation and analysis requiring the consolidation of multiple, complex financial and statistical data points.
- Provide expert guidance on the development of executive reports, streamlined reporting tools/dashboards, and the design of SPCS tuition reporting and calculation process. Continually evaluate and update methodology, designing new approaches, as needed.
- Design complex protocols for revenue reconciliation and reporting for SPCS Programs.
- Train staff on reporting protocols.
Communicate financial policies and procedures; ensure accuracy, completeness, and timeliness for management financial processes and reports.
- On a year-round basis, monitor the quality of all financial operations and transactions for SPCS programs. Provide expert analysis of policy issues, and disseminate information accordingly. Continually assess practices to evaluate unit-wide financial compliance, implementing protocol changes as needed.
Collaborate with other colleagues on cross functional projects; contribute to solutions that may affect policy changes or the development of new controls or processes.
- Collaborate with the Director of Finance, OHS Director of Business Operations, Program Directors, and top level leadership within SPCS, to craft financial protocol and processes.
Participate in critical analysis of existing systems, policies, and procedures; recommend and implement approved solutions.
- Recommend and implement new protocols in response to ongoing analysis, policy changes, or best practices.
- Participate in analysis of new campus-wide tools, vendors, and procedures.
- Ensure PCI compliance for all SPCS merchant accounts.
Represent the unit within the functional unit or school and to external constituencies.
- Represent SPCS financial activities to the President & Provost’s Office
- Serve as a key member of the SPCS leadership team. Work closely with the Executive Director to support his/her financial objectives and unit strategic direction.
- In conjunction with the Director of Finance, provide expert guidance on topics of financial direction for SPCS Programs & OHS.
- Partner with central University groups on annual transfers, reporting requirements, billing activities, working groups, etc.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and six years relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel
- Demonstrated knowledge of Oracle or other business financial systems. Ability to quickly learn new technologies and financial software applications.
- Solid understanding of financial principles.
- Strong professional communication and interpersonal skills, including ability to clearly and effectively prepare materials for and effectively communicate information to internal and external audiences, and all levels of management.
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills, ability to review and analyze complex financial information.
- Strong leadership and management skills with previous experience managing people, delegating workload and providing direction and leadership.
- Strong consulting and partnering skills, including the ability to lead and influence employees at all levels, and work successfully with unit/program directors.
- Demonstrated skill in project management of a high volume of work, some of which is cyclical.
- Demonstrated success in performing meticulous, high quality and compliant work.
- Ability to interpret complex research and fiscal policies, assimilate information from a wide range of resources and act like a mentor and resource to others.
- Knowledge of procurement needs, including sole-sourcing, cost analyses, vendor requirements, and small business reporting.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Constantly sitting.
- Frequently perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, writing by hand, sort/file paperwork.
- Occasionally stand/walk, lift/carry objects weighing 11-20 pounds.
- Rarely reach/work above shoulder.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Routine extended working hours during peak cycles; travel to school/unit sites across university.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu
**Please note that this position will move to Stanford’s new Redwood City Campus in September 2019** https://redwoodcity.stanford.edu/
*- Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
*- Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. All candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S.
Another Source works with their clients, on a retained project basis, to maximize the recruiting process.