Academic Department Director: Acting: Acting Performance, NY Campus
***Internal Candidates Only
The AMDA NY Campus, is searching for an Academic Department Director: Acting Performance.
This position reports directly to the Chair of the Acting Department.
AMDA is deeply committed to creating an inclusive community that actively challenges racism, sexism, heterosexism, religious bigotry, and other forms of bias. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, and members of other underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Faculty Supervision
- Course Supervision
- ACT203: Acting IV: Advanced Scene Study
- ACT205: Acting IV: Rehearsal Projects
- ACT252: Performance Workshop: Conception to Production
- ACT270: Drama Graduation Performance
- ACT271: Studio Graduation Performance
- Semseterly Directing (Faculty) Assignments(s)
- Approval of Director's Creative Team Assignments
- Addressing Student Concerns
- Administration of policies and procedures
- Support Faculty to Implement Canvas as Effective Teaching & Learning Tool Across Department
- Ensure minimum standards for each Canvas course page is met across department
- Support faculty in taking ownership of their Canvas course pages for Grading transparency, Course organization, & Student communications.
- Faculty/Staff Supervision, assessment, and communications
- Day to day faculty/staff supervision and support
- Implement faculty/staff assessment framework
- Survey data reviews with faculty
- Faculty Evaluation
- Support yearly (summer) faculty performance evaluation in collaboration with VP of Academic Affairs and Chair of the Acting Division
- Conduct semesterly faculty performance evaluations with Direct Observation, Canvas LMS Course Page Reviews, & Student Course Surveys
- Faculty training implementation. Faculty tied to evaluation feedback
- Participate in processes that systematically collect faculty input into curricular development and continuous improvement
- Participate in regular division meetings (1-2 per semester)
- Participate in regular ADD meetings (2-3 per semester)
- Lead regular departmental faculty meetings (2-3 per semester)
- Production Supervision including: Casting and manage creative collaboration between Directors, Assistant Directors, Vocal Coaches and production staff
- Qualifying faculty candidates and faculty search committee participation
- Faculty onboarding
- Faculty course assignments
- Directing courses in the Acting Performance Department
- Faculty training administration
- Final Production assessments
- Course survey implementation
- Grade Reporting
- Curricular and co-curricular development
Qualifications and Requirements
- Undergraduate degree required, Master’s degree a plus
- 4-6 years professional Acting directing experience (filmed or live performance available for viewing by members of hiring committee
- Directing in Higher Education a plus
- 2-4 years academic administration experience required
- Minimum 3 years of Acting teaching experience
- Demonstrated skills in LMS (Canvas preferred)
- AMDA is fully committed to diversity, inclusivity, and equity throughout the teaching and learning process. We encourage applications from individuals who have extensive experience working with students from diverse backgrounds.
- Successful candidates will have a sensitivity to, and understanding of, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of our students, including disabilities that may affect students' development and learning styles.
- Members of traditionally underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
AMDA is proud to be an EOE employer M/F/D/V