High School Summer Conservatory Counselor (Seasonal)
The American Musical and Dramatic Academy (AMDA), with campuses in New York City and Hollywood, is one of the foremost post-secondary performing arts colleges in the country. AMDA offers Bachelor of Fine Arts degree programs in Acting, Musical Theatre, Dance Theatre and Performing Arts, as well as two-year conservatory programs.
The High School Summer Conservatory at AMDA offers a variety of programs to dedicated and determined high school students who are serious about a career in the performing arts.
AMDA is currently seeking organized and enthusiastic individuals with a background in education and experience in leadership. Counselors escort students, report all needs to supervisors and support students, where they maintain a safe environment for all students in a 24/7 residential education context. This is an exciting and challenging opportunity to spend the summer living on campus in the heart of New York City, working with passionate young artists from all over the world, and supporting their learning experiences both inside and outside the classroom. The ideal candidates are detail oriented leaders, with a passion for student well-being.
- Create a safe, welcoming, and engaging environment for high school age students.
- Supervise students.
- Manage schedules and daily objectives for students
Support daily activities, planned outings, and social activities.
- Facilitate student movement from class/dorms/meals.
- Travel with students and ensure that all our young artists arrive to classes, events and meals in a timely manner.
- Support and manage meal times.
- Communicate with administrators.
- Support and adhere to all program rules including student/staff curfew and off campus rules.
- Act as a role model to all students attending the programs.
- Interact with students, parents/guardians and co-workers in a professional manner at all times.
- Understand and adhere to Standard Operating Procedures for High School Conservatory programs.
- Experience working with high school aged students required.
- Experience with conflict resolution.
- Experience leading group activities.
- Experience with maintaining schedules.
- CPR and First Aid Certification are a plus.
- Available to live on campus (counselors live in the same dorm building as summer students) from mid-June to early August.
- Must be 18 years of age and must have or be actively working towards or has received a college degree.
Diversity and Qualifications:
- AMDA is fully committed to diversity, inclusivity, and equity throughout the teaching and learning process. We encourage applications from individuals who have extensive experience working with students from diverse backgrounds.
- Successful candidates will have a sensitivity to, and understanding of, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of our students, including disabilities that may affect students' development and learning styles.
- Members of traditionally underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
AMDA is proud to be an EOE employer M/F/D/V