Technical Product Manager
The Technical Product Manager is the organization’s go-to person for the technical specifications and capabilities of all AM products. This position will create and validate product specification sheets, create FAQ sheets for the sales and customer service departments, provide technical evaluation of new products or product technologies, test new products, and handle inspection of product for quality control and root cause analysis. The Technical Product Manager is also responsible for managing patent certifications and legal contracts.
- Franklin Energy: Franklin Energy delivers flexible energy efficiency and grid optimization programs that enable utilities to achieve their highest-priority goals. The company’s integrated in-house services and proven software provide deeper personalization and insights, acting as a true partner to utilities. Franklin’s NGAGE platform is a scalable end-to-end technology that seamlessly integrates utility portfolio programs into a single interface for more efficient management and more effective customer engagement. The company is celebrating its 25th year serving the utility industry, with solutions implemented by more than 1,000 experts in 58 offices across 26 states and provinces. Franklin Energy’s award-winning marketing team includes nearly 50 digital and foundational marketing experts, located throughout the Unites States.
- AM Conservation Group: Since 1989, AM Conservation Group has been the utility industry’s leading provider of energy and water saving products, kits and online stores. We manufacture and distribute nearly 400 energy efficiency and water conservation products, which are custom engineered for the unique needs of the industry and carry ENERGY STAR® and WaterSense® certifications. AM Conservation Group’s product lines include the Niagara Conservation and Simply Conserve product lines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities, as management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Technical product resource for the organization – develop and oversee all product specifications, installation guides, and FAQ sheets
- Provide technical support to customers and sales personnel in the areas of product compatibility, installation, troubleshooting, and diagnosis
- Communicate the value of our products to the sales team and develop tools that facilitate the selling process
- Manage the product revision process to ensure proper communication with the operations and sales team, ensure spec sheets are updated, and facilitate the update of catalogs and websites
- Work collaboratively with the operations team in the sourcing of new suppliers or materials
- Understand, research and follow technical trends. Assess emerging products and make recommendations on new technologies in which to invest
- Manage new product development with supplier engineering teams to develop and evaluate new products and assess the technical risks
- Collect appropriate technical materials to support product launches for sales and marketing
- Monitor and track customer complaints and product returns to stay ahead of potential manufacturing quality issues
- Investigate significant customer product quality complaints, determine root cause and resolve issue with the manufacturer
- Assist procurement team with all technical product certifications and listings (DLC, UL, ETL, ENERGY STAR, WaterSense)
- Manage patent certifications and legal contracts with suppliers and vendors
- Work with procurement to coordinate yearly visits to China to search for new opportunities and visit existing suppliers
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related technical field, electrical preferred
- Minimum 5 years of experience in manufacturing or product management
- Experience is lighting industry is preferred
- Prior knowledge or experience with energy and/or water efficient products preferred
- Experience with researching and self-educating technology and technical data on-line
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Understanding of basic engineering fundamentals (electrical, mechanical, and chemical)
- Familiarity and awareness of common lighting principles and specifications
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel and Outlook
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to communicate complex technical issues in an easy to understand manner
- Assertive, self-driven individual willing to work independently with limited contact/direction
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, verbal and written communication skills. Ability to work with and communicate at all levels of the organization
- Must be a detail-oriented, organized, self-starter with strong problem-solving skills
- Proficient in the creation and maintenance of development documentation, including product specifications
Licenses & Certifications
- Valid driver’s license
- Willingness to travel up to 10%
- International travel to China manufacturing facilities, up to twice per year
- Domestic trade shows (1-2/year)
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Required to sit, stand, walk; talk and hear; and ability to touch and handle tools and/or controls
- Ability to lift to 10 pounds
- Noise Level is typically moderate
- Employee could be exposed to fumes and/or airborne particles and risk of potential shock
Note: Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
The above information describes the general duties and requirements necessary to perform the principle functions of the position. This shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the duties and requirements that may be necessary in this position.
An Equal Opportunity Employer