Sales Engineer (Analytics)
Actian Corporation enables organizations seamlessly manage and connect their operational and analytic for superior performance, insight and business outcomes. The Actian portfolio of products accelerates the entire analytics value chain from connecting to massive amounts of raw big data all the way to delivering actionable business value from sophisticated analytics.
We are in search of a Sales Engineer to provide pre-sales support contributing towards the successful conversion of prospects to customers and engages with customers to nurture repeat purchases. This includes working with the customers and partners to gain an understanding of their business and its needs, mapping our offerings to those needs, and providing competitive analysis that assists with the successful positioning of our offerings. A significant portion of the Sales Engineer role includes scoping, defining, and executing, Proof of Concepts by conducting data acquisition and transformation, data loading, database installation
The Sales Engineer also shall keep up to date on market developments/trends and research new technologies, tools, and methodologies as they emerge that may be applicable.
- Working with the Sales Representative to find and close new business opportunities
- Provide strategic presales support for sales activities including needs analysis, technology review, requirements definition, and proof-of-concept scoping.
- Researching companies and prospects to identify business issues and needs, and providing results of that research to customers to support our recommendations
- Working with customers and prospects to understand their business and technical needs, to move efforts such as Proof of Concept projects forward, and to help ensure that the customer is completely satisfied with Actian – the company, products & services
- Create and deliver world-class big data product presentations and demonstrations to meet prospect, customer, or internal needs
- Conduct proof-of-concept projects in a competitive environment
- Become an expert in our products’ features, benefits, and application to customer needs
- Communicate via phone, email, and face-to-face meetings with prospects guiding them through the evaluation and selection process
- Provide proactive support to customers and prospects with the goal of facilitating sales. Establish and maintain positive customer relationships, and follow-up on opportunities
- Be the customer advocate and liaison for product management and development
- Other related duties as assigned
- Must be available to travel throughout the business week. At least 50% travel is anticipated.
- More than 10 years of experience in a pre-sales engineering role that includes at least 5 years with a big data and/or database product
- Strong technical skills across various database and analytics technologies & impeccable business acumen.
- Domain expertise in big data and analytics
- BS/MS in Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics or other technical field
- Within a pre-sales framework, experience deploying databases such as Sybase, Informix, and Oracle within a pre sales framework.
- Within a pre-sales framework, experience deploying massively parallel (MPP) databases such as Netezza, Vertica, Greenplum, AsterData, Oracle/Exadata, DB2/EEE, or Teradata is desired.
- Strong knowledge of SQL and query-writing
- Linux and UNIX scripting languages including shell, python, awk, Perl
- Statistical and analytic experience is desired
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills that traverse from executive to technical levels