Manager, Internal Culture & Communications
Manager, Internal Culture & Communications
Location: Flexible within the United States
Position is available: Immediately
Every student deserves opportunities in life, and every educator committed to providing those opportunities deserves support. Those beliefs drive us to work alongside schools to support great teaching so that we can work towards guaranteeing that all students are receiving high quality instruction. We partner with over 900 schools - both district and charter - in underserved communities around the country, thus impacting more than 330,000 students. Third-party evaluations confirm that when schools have the right basic conditions in place and partner with ANet, they achieve 6-8 months of additional learning over a two-year period compared to schools not partnering with ANet.
At ANet we are committed to living out our core values, both across our organization and with our partner schools. We acknowledge that systemic inequities impact student access to opportunities and that in order to ensure educational equity for all students, we must center on the experiences of those from marginalized communities to guide our work. We work to deepen our understanding of how race, class, power and privilege influence the education system as well as influence our own perspectives. To do so, we provide ongoing learning opportunities through org-wide professional development, affinity groups, working groups, and resource sharing.
Individuals who join ANet have the opportunity to be part of a dynamic, values driven, and team-oriented organization that is committed to having impact in schools by investing in each other and learning together. We were named as The NonProfit Times “Best Nonprofits to Work For” and work tirelessly to foster a working environment where the unique perspectives, backgrounds, and identities of our staff members are valued.
At the Achievement Network (ANet) we aspire to create a collaborative and inclusive internal culture and leverage various communications rhythms to inform, instruct and inspire our team. As an organization composed of 200+ talented individuals located in over 25 states we know connections to each other and key information are vital to our long term success. Within this dynamic, fast-paced environment, we are looking for an Internal Culture & Communications Manager who will use their understanding of internal communications practices and plans to support employee engagement.
The Manager will work alongside our internal teams to develop compelling narratives, presentations, and internal stakeholder communications. They will be tasked with leveraging their mastery of digital, social, and traditional communications channels and work closely with leadership across the organization in a support capacity, in addition to their communications duties. The core of their work is to enable people at work to feel informed, connected and purposeful in order to drive organizational performance.
The Manager will be a member of the Office of the CEO, report to the Chief of Staff and work in close partnership with the Manager of Internal Anti-Racist Culture and Communications.
Combine strong communication strategy with an understanding of people in order to develop and implement plans, and internal communication campaigns
● Lead the internal team to design and execute ANet’s monthly all-staff meetings focused on quality relationship building and information sharing through storytelling
● Identify opportunities and develop internal communication strategies utilizing a data-driven approach including the diagnosis of needs/current state
● Design and execute methods for gathering and incorporating employee feedback/ voice to shape communication planning
● Steward an internal communication calendar and aligned project plans
● Support team-based communications and build relationships with key internal leads to ensure that team-based communications are aligned and related to broader planning
Steer the design and execution of our internal knowledge management and communication platform
● Oversee day-to-day configuration, maintenance, and content creation – manage posts/status updates, foster dialog, answer questions or comments, monitor trends, advise on potential opportunities and resolve issues
● Support the IntrANet development roadmap and governance strategy to ensure coherence between org-wide and team level engagement strategies including change management and adoption initiatives
● Help to define, measure, and deliver IntrANet success metrics. Track metrics, monitor and communicate on platform activity with internal team members and group owners. Monitor adoption to ensure action is taken when usage is below expectations.
● Develop and deploy user adoption/training programs for Igloo and process change initiatives.
● Utilize various channels (e.g. podcasts, videos, written) to capture content from across the organization and generate new ideas of content in line with our communication strategy
Co-create coherent and purposeful all-staff experiences that inform, inspire, and drive action aligned to our core values and company culture
● Act as a primary design lead (in partnership with other members of the Office of the CEO) for our annual all-staff in-person conference. Responsibilities include setting the theme, objectives, secure external speakers and managing the operations of the event
● Coordinate internal events like roundtables, town halls and speaker series that keep the organization inspired and motivated throughout the year
● Create an experience strategy that honors a team that is newly fully remote and ensure authentic opportunities to build relationships within and across teams.
● Ensure that communication and engagement approaches are appropriate to the organizational culture and accelerate our values and commitment to anti-racism
● Build a deep, empathetic but evidence-based understanding of ANet’s people and their needs; helping to create an environment where employee voice and collaboration are part of the fabric of the organization and where the contribution to success is recognized.
● Ensure communication plans and channels are appropriate, given organizational culture/ subcultures
● Analyze data from internal knowledge management platform, feedback and employee voice initiatives to inform understanding of employee perspectives and opinions and feed into communication and engagement planning
● Support the development/ maintenance of internal culture via selection of stories/initiatives that promote and role model culture/desired values
In order to be successful in this role, candidates must demonstrate the following:
● You bring at least 4 years of experience working in communications with a focus on internal communications, ideally at a mission-driven organization
● You bring excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills and excel at using those skills to inform and inspire others
● You know how to build cross-functional relationships and influence others across all levels and functions within an organization and have previously worked in a matrixed environment
● You are skilled at managing tight deadlines and working under pressure due to your strong project management and organizational skills
● You know how to use your curiosity and journalistic skills to get great stories from team members
● You are a motivated self-starter who can both proactively generate innovative ideas and partner with key stakeholders across the organization to come up with solutions
● You have a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels
● You are motivated by working in an environment where we live out our core values daily and are eager to examine personal archetypes and biases while discussing topics related to race, class, and privilege which relate to ANet’s Advance Equity and People Matter values
Ideal candidates may also demonstrate the following preferred qualifications:
● You have a degree in journalism, communications, public relations, or equivalent work experience
ANet offers highly competitive compensation based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where ANet pays 80% of the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; generous paid time-off including: vacation, 10 paid holidays with paid days off between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays, a paid floating holiday, paid sick & personal days; paid parental leave; retirement plan options; commuter benefits; tuition reimbursement; flexible spending accounts; short and long-term disability coverage; and basic life and personal accident insurance.
We are now accepting applications for this position, which will be reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, please click on the blue “Apply” button.
This role is not intended to be performed in Colorado.
ANet is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.