Senior Software Engineer (Future Opportunity)
Senior Software Engineer (Future Opportunity)
Location: Flexible within the United States (Eastern Time Zone preferred)
Position is available: Fall 2020
We are seeking a full-time Senior Software Engineer to join our Engineering Team in the fall of 2020 to help build products that support Achievement Network’s (ANet) mission. The ideal candidate will be passionate about cutting-edge development and best practices. Reporting to the Director of Engineering, this person will play a key role in crafting and implementing our technology vision for the organization.
ANet is flexible to remote working with appropriate experience and a history of successfully collaborating with and mentoring other developers remotely. Occasional travel to ANet’s National Office in Boston will be necessary, so proximity to the New England area and eastern time zone is preferable.
● Play a leadership role in designing and implementing sustainable code for substantial features and/or sections of code
● Implement ANet’s next generation of technology products that support data-driven educational practices and help to close the achievement gap in the underserved communities we partner with
● Create, monitor and deliver against the product road map and corresponding release cycles (as negotiated with the Product Management Team)
● Provide strategic leadership in setting goals and measuring progress in RESTful server-side APIs and/or agile, componentized client-side code
● Keep abreast of new technologies and propose adoption as appropriate
● Mentor and support the development of junior developers as appropriate
● Actively embrace and model best practices such as code reviews, unit testing, and planning/scoping/vetting larger features
● Proactively look for ways to build our team through individual contributions which help us improve code quality, team culture, and team velocity
In order to be successful in this role, candidates must demonstrate the following:
● You bring direct experience in the implementation of consumer-facing web applications using
o Java and/or Go programming languages
o Scrum or other Agile development processes
o RESTful Web Services
o Scalable web application development
● You are a team player who motivates and educates colleagues; you enjoy working in a highly collaborative and agile culture
● You are skilled in working closely with business partners to build technology solutions that meet the usability and functional needs of both internal and external users
● You operate comfortably among a highly independent staff with diverse backgrounds
● You bring an innovative approach to analyze, evaluate and solve problems
● You have a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels
● You are motivated by working in an environment where we live out our core values daily and are eager to examine personal archetypes and biases while discussing topics related to race, class, and privilege which relate to ANet’s Advance Equity and People Matter values
Ideal candidates may also demonstrate the following preferred qualifications:
● 4+ years of software development experience
● A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related degree
To express interest in future Senior Software Engineer openings, please click on the blue “Apply” button. You will then be prompted to complete a brief application and upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter in which you outline why you are interested in working for ANet and how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position. Our team will review your materials and once an opening becomes available that is a fit for your background and interests, we will reach out.
Every student deserves opportunities in life, and every educator committed to providing those opportunities deserves support. Those beliefs drive us to work alongside schools to support great teaching so that we can work towards guaranteeing that all students are receiving high quality instruction. We partner with over 900 schools - both district and charter - in underserved communities around the country, thus impacting more than 330,000 students. Third-party evaluations confirm that when schools have the right basic conditions in place and partner with ANet, they achieve 6-8 months of additional learning over a two-year period compared to schools not partnering with ANet.
At ANet we are committed to living out our core values, both across our organization and with our partner schools. We acknowledge that systemic inequities impact student access to opportunities and that in order to ensure educational equity for all students, we must center on the experiences of those from marginalized communities to guide our work. We work to deepen our understanding of how race, class, power, and privilege influence the education system as well as influence our own perspectives. To do so, we provide ongoing learning opportunities through professional development, affinity groups, working groups, and resource sharing.
Individuals who join ANet have the opportunity to be part of a dynamic, values-driven, and team-oriented organization that is committed to having impact in schools by investing in each other and learning together. We were named in The NonProfit Times’ “Best Nonprofits to Work For” and work tirelessly to foster a working environment where the unique perspectives, backgrounds, and identities of our staff members are valued.
ANet offers highly competitive compensation based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where ANet pays 80% of the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; 3 weeks of vacation (4 weeks after two years with ANet); 10 paid holidays with paid days off between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays; a paid floating holiday; paid sick & personal days; paid parental leave; retirement plan options; commuter benefits; tuition reimbursement; flexible spending accounts; short and long-term disability coverage; and basic life and personal accident insurance.
ANet is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.