Director of Development
Director of Development
Location: Flexible within the United States; occasional travel required
(proximity to New England and/or Eastern Time Zone preferred)
Position available: Immediately
Every student deserves opportunities in life, and every educator committed to providing those opportunities deserves support. Those beliefs drive us to work alongside schools to support great teaching so that we can work towards guaranteeing that all students are receiving high quality instruction. We partner with over 900 schools - both district and charter - in underserved communities around the country, thus impacting more than 330,000 students. Third-party evaluations confirm that when schools have the right basic conditions in place and partner with ANet, they achieve 6-8 months of additional learning over a two-year period compared to schools not partnering with ANet.
At ANet we are committed to living out our core values, both across our organization and with our partner schools. We acknowledge that systemic inequities impact student access to opportunities and that in order to ensure educational equity for all students, we must center on the experiences of those from marginalized communities to guide our work. We work to deepen our understanding of how race, class, power and privilege influence the education system as well as influence our own perspectives. To do so, we provide ongoing learning opportunities through org-wide professional development, affinity groups, working groups, and resource sharing.
Individuals who join ANet have the opportunity to be part of a dynamic, values driven, and team-oriented organization that is committed to having impact in schools by investing in each other and learning together. We were named as The NonProfit Times “Best Nonprofits to Work For” and work tirelessly to foster a working environment where the unique perspectives, backgrounds, and identities of our staff members are valued.
We are seeking an experienced fundraiser with strong relationship, writing, and project management skills to serve as ANet’s Director of Development. This Director will play a key role in securing roughly $10M per year in funding from philanthropic foundations and other sources to support ANet’s work. They will partner with the Chief Strategy Officer and the CEO to develop grant proposals, ensure we deliver on the milestones in our grants, submit grant reports, build relationships with funders, and manage progress toward ANet’s fundraising goals overall. The Director will also help build and tighten the systems we use to track our philanthropic resources. This role will report to the Chief Strategy Officer.
ANet generates roughly 70% of its budget from earned revenue and 30% of its revenue from philanthropy. This gives the Director of Development a unique opportunity compared to other Development roles. Our fundraising is typically focused on innovative projects. Additionally, our Director of Development will have an opportunity to be “close to the work” - helping to ensure that funding is leading to quality results for the schools we support.
Steward relationships with funding partners
● Strengthen relationships with ANet’s existing funders by regularly connecting them with opportunities to experience our work and understand the impact of their investments
● Identify, cultivate, and secure new funders at both the national and local level
● Manage requests from funders for information and proactively ensure that our funders are receiving information that will deepen their commitment to ANet
● Recognize and appreciate key donors
Create compelling written materials, including grant applications, reports, and presentations
● Conduct research to understand funder objectives, priorities, and requirements, and think strategically about their fit with ANet’s strategy
● Work with our Program Team to understand the strategic projects we are undertaking each year and incorporate those projects into outreach to funders with aligned interests
● Develop content for grant proposals and other “pitch” materials (including materials for site visits by potential funders) based on ANet’s program and strategy
● Compose grant reports and work with our finance team to track ANet’s expenditure against grant budgets
● Support regular meetings with funders to report on the progress of our grants and provide updates on our impact overall
Ensure ANet achieves its fundraising goals
● Oversee tracking our fundraising pipeline, application deadlines, progress against fundraising goals, and reporting requirements
● Use tracking information and knowledge of potential funders to identify strategies to reach our fundraising goals
● Work across teams to ensure that we are completing the projects described in our grant agreements and help project manage key aspects of grant-funded work
● Work with our Finance Team to ensure that our grants budget accurately captures the work associated with managing grant projects
● Empower and equip ANet’s regional leaders to secure local grant funding where appropriate and develop systems that enable efficient, consistent grant proposals in our different geographies
● Run regular check-ins with our CEO and Chief Strategy Officer to ensure we are making progress toward our philanthropic goals
In order to be successful in this role, candidates must demonstrate the following:
● You have a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels
● You have a demonstrated ability to raise six figure grants from locally focused foundations, individuals, and/or national foundations
● You have a track record of successfully building and stewarding relationships with funders and communicating with them and other key stakeholders in a way that is both humble and persuasive
● You have a demonstrated ability to write in a compelling manner, with prose that captures the audience’s attention and clearly communicates relevant content
● You are skilled at managing your time, organizing multi-part projects, and collaborating with colleagues across tenure and geography
● You thrive at distilling complex projects that require input from a broad set of collaborators into clear work streams that can be executed efficiently
● You know how to analyze data and critically examine content developed by others to ensure it is accurate and relevant
● You are motivated by working in an environment where we live out our core values daily and are eager to examine personal archetypes and biases while discussing topics related to race, class, and privilege which relate to ANet’s Advance Equity and People Matter values
Ideal candidates may also demonstrate the following preferred qualifications:
● You bring experience in a high-growth, fast-moving, evolving, multi-site organization
● You have experience with technology platforms related to fundraising with foundations, such as Fluxx, Salesforce, Foundation Center, and others
ANet offers highly competitive compensation based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where ANet pays 80% of the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; generous paid time-off including: vacation, 10 paid holidays with paid days off between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays, a paid floating holiday, paid sick & personal days; paid parental leave; retirement plan options; commuter benefits; tuition reimbursement; flexible spending accounts; short and long-term disability coverage; and basic life and personal accident insurance.
We are now accepting applications for this position, which will be reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, please click on the blue “Apply” button.
ANet is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.