Principal Software Engineer
Principal Software Engineer
Location: Flexible within the United States
Position is available: Immediately
Every student deserves opportunities in life, and every educator committed to providing those opportunities deserves support. Those beliefs drive us to work alongside schools to support great teaching so that we can work towards guaranteeing that all students are receiving high quality instruction. We partner with over 900 schools - both district and charter - in underserved communities around the country, thus impacting more than 330,000 students. Third-party evaluations confirm that when schools have the right basic conditions in place and partner with ANet, they achieve 6-8 months of additional learning over a two-year period compared to schools not partnering with ANet.
At ANet we are committed to living out our core values, both across our organization and with our partners. We acknowledge that systemic inequities impact student access to opportunities and that in order to ensure educational equity for all students, we must center on the experiences of those from marginalized communities to guide our work. We work to deepen our understanding of how race, class, power and privilege influence the education system as well as influence our own perspectives. To do so, we provide ongoing learning opportunities through org-wide professional development, affinity groups, working groups, and resource sharing.
Are you looking for an opportunity that fulfills your passion for developing software and advances educational and racial equity? Are you excited about applying your engineering skills to have a positive impact on the lives of underserved students across the United States? Are you hoping to work with a team that truly prioritizes learning, collaboration, and work-life balance?
Achievement Network (ANet) is a non-profit dedicated to advancing equity, and often named by The NonProfit Times as one of the “Best Nonprofits to Work For.”
We are seeking a full-time Principal Software Engineer to help our Engineering Team build products that support Achievement Network’s (ANet) mission. The ideal candidate will be inspired by technical challenges, motivated to apply modern development technologies and best practices to deliver high-quality software systems, and committed to participating fully in our organizational effort to combat systemic racism by pushing ourselves along the anti-racism spectrum.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
● Play a leadership role as an individual contributor by architecting, designing, and implementing high quality, enterprise-scale software that will support data-driven educational practices and help to close the achievement gap in the underserved communities we partner with
● Drive, design, and implement system infrastructure solutions, including a shared application shell and integrations with performance profiling, debugging, automated testing, and build systems
● Create, monitor and deliver against the product road map and corresponding release cycles (as negotiated with the Product Management Team)
● Lead by example. Multiply the impact of our team by exemplifying professional Software Engineering in your actions, orientation, and work products.
● Provide strategic leadership in setting goals and measuring progress in RESTful server-side APIs and/or agile, componentized client-side code
● Keep abreast of new technologies and propose adoption as appropriate
● Actively embrace, evolve, and model adoption of best software development practices, standards, patterns, documentation, and processes as defined by the team
● Mentor and support the development of other engineers, providing them with coaching and learning opportunities to help them grow
● Proactively look for ways to build our team through individual contributions which help us improve code quality, team culture, and team velocity
In order to be successful in this role, candidates must demonstrate the following:
● You have direct experience architecting, implementing, delivering, and supporting high-quality, enterprise-scale web applications using
○ Java and/or Go programming languages
○ RESTful Web Services
○ Software-as-a-service (SaaS) and Service-oriented architecture (SOA)
○ CI/CD tools such as CircleCI to automate software builds, tests, and deployments
○ AWS cloud infrastructure
● You have hands-on experience developing and optimizing system infrastructure to support
○ High availability, scalability, performance, and reliability requirements
○ Automated unit, functional, and end-to-end regression test suites
○ Continuous integration and delivery tools, preferably with dependency-based builds
● You have prior leadership experience
○ Defining and adopting best software development practices and patterns across teams
○ Building alignment and support across diverse developers for common patterns and team standards
○ Performing software design and code reviews for developers across teams
○ Mentoring new hires and junior engineers
● You are skilled in working closely with business partners to build technology solutions that meet the needs of internal and external users.
● You are a team player who motivates and educates colleagues; you enjoy working in a highly collaborative culture and value process that creates consistent, sustainable solutions across applications and sub-teams.
● You are flexible, curious, and humble. You enjoy learning about new ways of doing things, and know how to adjust solutions to maximize the effectiveness of the entire team.
● You have a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels.
● You are motivated by working in an environment where we live out our core values daily and are eager to examine personal archetypes and biases while discussing topics related to race, class, and privilege which relate to ANet’s Advance Equity and People Matter values.
Ideal candidates may also demonstrate the following preferred qualifications:
● 10+ years of software development experience in high-scale enterprise environments
● A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related degree
We are now accepting applications for this position, which will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please submit your application online.
Individuals who join ANet have the opportunity to be part of a dynamic, values driven, and team-oriented organization that is committed to having impact in schools by investing in each other and learning together. We were named as The NonProfit Times “Best Nonprofits to Work For” and work tirelessly to foster a working environment where the unique perspectives, backgrounds, and identities of our staff members are valued.
ANet offers highly competitive compensation based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where ANet pays 80% of the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; generous paid time-off including 10 paid holidays and paid days off between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays; paid parental leave; retirement plan options; commuter benefits; tuition reimbursement; flexible spending accounts; short and long-term disability coverage; and basic life and personal accident insurance.
ANet has implemented a Mandatory Vaccination Policy, which requires all staff to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or obtain an approval for exemption due to medical or religious reasons prior to commencement of employment unless applicable state or local law provides otherwise.
This role is not intended to be performed in Colorado.
ANet is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.