What’s in it for you?
Reporting to the Manager, Global Payroll, the Payroll Specialist will be responsible for processing all payrolls for employees across the United States. Balancing high-caliber customer service levels to employees, statutory compliance, and strong partnerships with internal and external stakeholders, the Payroll Specialist will collaborate cross-functionally with the Finance/Accounting, Human Resources, and Legal teams. The Payroll Specialist will execute hourly and salaried payrolls, record all payroll expense in the general ledger, support related audits, and process annual statements (e.g., W-2s, 3921s, and 3922s). Utilizing a strong payroll background, the Payroll Specialist must also have working knowledge of U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Sarbanes-Oxley internal control standards.
What will you be doing?
- Process bi-weekly, semi-monthly, and off-cycle multi-jurisdictional U.S. payrolls, and perform all associated calculations
- Manage and review time tracking activities in Workday for non-exempt employees, performing follow up within the business as necessary
- Collaborate with HR to capture benefit deductions, pay prorations, etc., appropriately in each payroll, and manage the data feed between the Workday HRIS and ADP WorkforceNow systems
- Assist in processing employee equity transactions and capturing associated income and deductions appropriately in payroll (e.g., stock option exercise activity, RSU releases, ESPP purchases, etc.)
- Record all payroll-related journal entries in the General Ledger (GL) and reconcile related accounts (e.g., accrued bonus, accrued vacation, vacation accrual, accrued 401k match, flexible spending liabilities, and payroll expense)
- Coordinate with 401(k) provider and facilitate timely deposits into participant accounts
- Assist with filing in new employment tax territories and resolving state and local taxation issues, working with outside tax professionals as necessary
- Communicate with employees of all levels in various departments regarding all payroll matters
- Support the improvement of payroll processes and controls to minimize risk and to comply with new federal and state laws and Company policies
- Maintain detailed source documentation and payroll records
- Process accurate and timely year-end reporting (W-2, etc.)
- Aid in the transition from ADP WorkforceNow to Workday payroll
- Assist with any relevant audits and reviews, including those around financial statements, SOX compliance, worker’s compensation, and the 401k plan, etc.
What are we looking for?
- Strong functional payroll knowledge and a minimum of 2-3 years’ experience processing payroll for a public company. Multi-jurisdiction payroll experience a plus
- Working knowledge of the impact of payroll activity on financial statements
- Strong client service mentality; ability to develop strong working relationships with team, internal partners, vendors, and employees to deliver high-quality service
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively across teams and vendors
- Ability to manage competing priorities with deadlines, without sacrificing quality
- Sensitivity in working with confidential information
- Exceptionally detail oriented
- Excellent Excel skills required
- Experience with ADP WorkforceNow and Workday
- Experience with Oracle Fusion a plus
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Embrace our core values: Team collaboration, Accelerating drug discovery, Commitment to patients, and Employee development
Acceleron is a biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the discovery, development, and commercialization of therapeutics to treat serious and rare diseases. Acceleron’s leadership in the understanding of TGF-beta superfamily biology and protein engineering generates innovative compounds that engage the body's ability to regulate cellular growth and repair. Acceleron focuses its commercialization, research, and development efforts in hematologic and pulmonary diseases. In hematology, REBLOZYL® (luspatercept-aamt) is the first and only erythroid maturation agent approved in the United States and Europe for the treatment of anemia in certain blood disorders. REBLOZYL is part of a global collaboration partnership with Bristol Myers Squibb. The Companies co-promote REBLOZYL in the United States and are also developing luspatercept for the treatment of anemia in patient populations of MDS, beta-thalassemia, and myelofibrosis. In pulmonary, Acceleron is developing sotatercept for the treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension, having recently reported positive topline results of the Phase 2 PULSAR trial. For more information, please visit www.acceleronpharma.com. Follow Acceleron on Social Media: @AcceleronPharma and LinkedIn.