Software Engineer - Full-stack
ABOUT Your Role:
As part of the SEO and Growth team, you’ll be working closely with data scientists and editorial teams. We’re building a system for turning large amounts of data into meaningful insights about our content and quality, taking action, and measuring the results. We use modern web technologies to tackle complex problems, and we’re passionate about continuous learning and growth.
You’ll be building ETL pipelines, APIs, automated systems, web crawlers, distributed data stores, and tools for closing the build-measure-learn loop for key business processes. The work you do will have a direct impact on improving the quality and traffic of About.com.
ABOUT Your Contributions:
- Help transition our data and application to AWS
- Speed up our data processing pipeline (currently Python + Mongo)
- Set up and maintain a search database (Elastic Search or Solr)
- Maintain and improve our web crawler (Apache Nutch, writing to Hadoop)
- Build out better ways to monitor our data coverage
- Collaborate with the Data Engineering and Data Science teams
- "Own" the data and infrastructure tier of this internal tool
- Work with the team to make this data available via our web application (Django/React)
- 4+ years experience with a scripting language (Python preferred)
- Experience with Solr/ElasticSearch and optimizing ad hoc queries
- At ease with both NoSQL and SQL databases
- Experience with Django, Flask, or similar frameworks
- Confidence working with distributed stores such as Hadoop and MongoDB
- Experience with web crawlers such as Scrapy or Apache Nutch a plus
- Ability to work with minimal requirements and interface with different business units
About.com is reimagining the way people find expert advice and answers online. Through its premium vertical brands including Verywell, The Balance, Lifewire and its namesake About.com, we help tens of millions of users each month answer questions, solve problems, learn something new and find inspiration on topics they deeply care about.