Media Relations Specialist, Lifestyle - Temp to Perm
ABOUT Your Role:
If you’re a great writer with a perceptive knack for nailing brand voice; a compelling storyteller, eager to identify opportunities for press coverage; then this is the role for you! As a Media Relations Specialist, you will gain visibility into the inner workings of an internal public relations and events department as About.com rolls out a series of new branded verticals. You will work closely alongside About.com’s Director of Communications and Manager of Communications and Events, joining a small team that wears many hats. If you enjoy pitching and fostering relationships with media, have a knack for uncovering stories from data and content, and are excited to gain incredible insight across all planning in a legacy internet brand; we’d love to have you on board.
ABOUT Your Contributions:
- Promote brand initiatives to trade press across health, home, food and travel as well as identify opportunities for paid sponsorships for brands
- Field media requests and develop close professional relationships with key members of media to ensure ongoing coverage
- Create rich awards/speaking grid, talking points, messaging, press lists and other media related materials as needed
- Partner with teams such as sales, research and marketing to develop brand stories, unveil data points, and proactively pitch out to press
- Assist in administrative duties, including but not limited to field and database research, cold calls to vendors, updates to company media kit
- Support team with programming and implementation of various sales events with existing and potential clients
- 1-3 years experience in Public Relations or Journalism, with proven results
- Some travel or late nights on a limited basis as needed (with product/brand launches or events)
- Interest in Lifestyle media; specifically food, home, health and travel
- Efficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Docs, experience with media databases
About.com is reimagining the way people find expert advice and answers online. Through its premium vertical brands including Verywell, The Balance, Lifewire and its namesake About.com, we help tens of millions of users each month answer questions, solve problems, learn something new and find inspiration on topics they deeply care about.