Life Is Precious Prevention Specialist (Cibecue, Arizona)
WHITE MOUNTAIN APACHE BEHAVIORAL HEALTH SERVICES, INC.
POSITION: NOWHI’ IDA’ BAGOYE’ LIFE IS PRECIOUS PREVENTION SPECIALIST (Cibecue, Arizona)
CLASSIFICATION CODE: EXEMPT FULL TIME
DEPARTMENT: NOWHI’ IDA’ BAGOYE’ LIFE IS PRECIOUS SUICIDE PREVENTION PROGRAM
REPORTS TO: NOWHI’ IDA’ BAGOYE’ LIFE IS PRECIOUS PROGRAM MANAGER
STATEMENT OF JOB: This Position provides supportive mental health services, including suicide prevention, intervention and postvention, to clients of all ages enrolled or eligible to be enrolled with White Mountain Apache Behavioral Health Services Tribal Regional Behavioral Health Authority. This position coordinates appropriate services between the client, client support system, community, and other healthcare and social service professionals. This position will also act as an advocate for the client with other service providers as appropriate.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct outreach for individuals at risk for suicide, facilitate access to healthcare services and provide counseling/skills training/education/support in accordance with the Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS) guidelines for mental health. Ability to demonstrate a high degree of flexibility and competence in adjusting to clientele with varying degrees of traumatic experiences and complex psychological presentations.
- Ability to address a variety of diverse spiritual, emotional, and social needs in multiple environments of an often high-risk population, using a trauma-informed care approach while maintaining a high degree of professionalism and cultural awareness.
- Manages a caseload of clients/potential clients who would benefit from behavioral health services.
- Provides services at the clinic, in the community, adult shelters, residential facilities, hospital settings and in client’s homes to ensure client obtains all benefits and services necessary.
- Documents contact with clients in order to assess needs, maintain required paperwork and engage family members. Complete assessment updates and treatment plan updates in accordance with Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS) and ABHS Standards. Collaborates with court/probation, tribal/community agencies, families and other natural support systems to ensure client’s needs are met. Develops a strong working relationship with community partners.
- Provides prevention education services including presentations, workshops, and other forms public education on a variety of mental health topics, including, but not limited to, suicide prevention, substance abuse treatment education and life skills instruction.
- Facilitates group counseling, skill training, and education programs in coordination with ABHS clinician.
- Provides support services assistance to ABHS clinical staff, including, but not limited to, transportation, community visits, appointment setting/coordination, outreach services for clients having difficulty accessing services, and/or for reengagement in treatment services.
- Ability to provide client walk-in services in the office as related to the clinical service needs of clients.
- Verify and print Medifax confirmation information for intake process as needed.
- Complete data entry in electronic health record all intake information for new clients.
- Adheres to ABHS vehicle policies and maintains appropriate vehicle utilization records.
- Abide by all applicable policies, procedures, and program standards of ABHS, White Mountain Apache Tribe, Indian Health Services, Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS) and other pertinent regulatory authorities.
- Maintain ethical policies and guidelines as outlined in accepted State ethics laws, rules, policies and principles and as outlined in discipline-specific code of ethics.
- Participates in interdepartmental clinical team meetings to assist and encourage consistent and timely provision of services. Participates in weekly clinical staffing with other members of the clinical team to review client progress and service requirements.
- Provide a positive role model to clients and staff through leadership, self-discipline, and genuine care for the treatment and recovery of clients. All clients and staff members must be treated with dignity and respect.
- Participation in all required ABHS training.
- Reports/attends work in timely manner. Must be reliable and communicate directly with supervisor in all matters of attendance.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Possession of a high school diploma with minimum of four years work related experience in mental health field engaged in case management, mental health, developmental disabilities, aftercare, substance abuse or related areas; AA/Bachelor’s degree in mental health/human services or related field preferred. Experience working with Native Americans preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to speak the Apache language preferred.
- Demonstrate critical thinking, problem-solving and organizational and time management skills with ability to work independently, with flexibility within prescribed deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to work effectively with a wide range of people, teams, managers, supervisors.
- MS Office proficiency and ability to correctly operate copy machine and fax.
- Valid Arizona Driver’s License and reliable transportation.
- Ability to pass all pre-employment testing, including, but not limited to, fingerprint clearance, drug testing and background check.
**NOTE: Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified Indian candidates in accordance with the Indian Preference Act (Title 25, U.S. Code, Section 472 and 473).
The physical characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
Constant: standing. Frequent: repetitive use of hand, walking, standing, bending neck and waist, squatting, climbing, kneeling, twisting neck and waist, simple grasping of left and right hand, power grasping right and left hand, fine manipulation right and left hand, pushing and pulling right and left hand, reaching above shoulder level, reaching below shoulder level, lifting objects weighing up to 25 pounds from below the waist to a height of 3 feet.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. The employment is considered “at will” and agree that employment can be terminated with or without cause and with or without notice at any time at the option of either the employee or the company.