We’re passionate, we’re collaborative and we are growing.
AArete is looking for an experienced Controller. You are highly strategic with an entrepreneurial spirit and commitment to excellence. You strive in a team environment and have the ability to flip tasks and priorities midstream because you love an exciting challenge. The bar is set high at AArete. There is a lot to do around here and you love getting the job done right.
The Controller will manage the increasing responsibilities of the Accounting and Finance functions. You will have the capability to wear a lot of hats, roll up your sleeves and get the job done while managing our Accounting team during periods of transformation. The Controller will be responsible for the oversight of all Accounting and regular reporting activities and will lead day-to-day Finance operations.
Why AArete? We live and breathe to provide the best experience to our clients each and every day. We are fresh, passionate, have tons of energy, and love what we do – provide non- labor cost reduction solutions and wow our clients with impeccable service.
We also believe in giving back. We support our communities by sponsoring charitable organizations through fundraising and volunteer efforts.
We know there is more to life than work and believe passionately that our people enjoy both a family and a career at AArete.
It is an exciting time to join the AArete team. Come join the company named in Vault’s Top 50 Firms to Work For 2019, Crain's Chicago Business Fast 50 for the 3rd time, Inc 5000’s Fastest Growing Firms list for the 4th consecutive year and Consulting Magazine's Fastest Growing Firms for the 4th consecutive year.
Build/enhance the function:
- Drive efficiencies in the accounting department; outsourcing functions if needed to allow team members to focus on higher valued added activities
- Develop process and design with the Director of Financial Planning and Control to build metrics, KPI’s and scorecards that lend insight into the business
- Ensure we have the right set of skills and experience to handle international expansion and the integration of acquisitions
- Support financial leadership with special projects and workflow process improvements
- Assist in development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department
Day-to-day accounting operations:
- Overall responsibility for the general ledger and accuracy/timeliness of financial reporting
- Manage the accuracy and productivity of accounts payable, cash disbursements, invoicing/billing, timesheet and expense report review, customer credits and collections, fixed asset records, general accounting, and Operations
- Supervise payroll preparation and monitor state payroll tax issues
- Handle the daily banking requirements and ensure the monthly and quarterly Bank Compliance activities are performed in a timely and accurate manner
- Work closely with HR to manage current employee benefits, as well as evaluate potential new benefits
- Work closely with the Director of Financial, Planning & Control to support budget and forecasting activities
- Work with each direct report to establish goals and objectives for each year and monitor and advise on the progress to enhance the professional development of staff
- Respond to inquiries from the VP of Finance and other company leaders regarding financial results and special reporting requests
- Collaborate with the other Operations department leaders to support overall department goals and objectives
- Prepare financial information required for completion of tax returns, and work with preparers to ensure timely completion of all tax returns
- Take the lead on audits and ensure timely completion
- Year-end financial statements audit
- 401k & ESOP employee benefits audit
- Oversee the adoption of ASC606 revenue recognition
- Ensure compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements
- Manage insurance needs of the company to ensure we are adequately covered
- Identify and make transparent any client contracting risk
- Ensure proper state registration and payment of excise tax for states in which we work
- 8-12 years of experience
- Exceptional knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, cost accounting and cost control principles, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Understanding of ESOP accounting
- CPA or MBA preferred
- Proficient with OpenAir and NetSuite
- Prior experience working in a public accounting firm
- Experience in a private company and Professional Services environment a plus
- Past involvement consolidating multiple legal entities for reporting purposes
- Detail oriented with a strong commitment to preparing accurate work
- Ability to quickly build financial models and scenarios, simplify complex data, and give clarity to the information
- Adaptable to changing situations with ability to handle multiple projects concurrently
- Strong professional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials, reports and information within tight timeframes while simultaneously manage several other projects/duties