Jr. Linux Systems Administrator
Job Title: Linux/Unix System Administrator - Junior
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Clearance Required: Eligibility for a Security Clearance
About 1901 Group:
1901 Group provides IT services using an integrated cloud-based platform that enables monitoring, management, and optimization of IT environments that span on-premise, co-location, and cloud computing environments. Our “as a service” model (XaaS) embeds all the people, processes and technology necessary to deliver highly efficient IT services on a 24x7x365 basis.
Purpose of the Job:
This individual will work as a junior Linux/Unix system administrator in support of the customer’s infrastructure operations. The administrator will provide remote enterprise server support, consisting of physical and virtual servers requiring complete life cycle support for all hardware, software, and services. All servers are housed within the agency’s Data Centers. The support within this task area will require the administrator to assist and support Sr. Linux Administrators in planning, analysis, testing, implementation, operations and maintenance, information assurance, cybersecurity, and final disposition of all Linux/Unix systems owned by the agency.
- Support Sr. administrators in the maintenance and management of remote systems
- Assist in the application of Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIGs) on remote hosts to ensure security compliance
- Ensure that data center operations are sustained during all maintenance activities
- Assist in the execution of all applicable Information Assurance Vulnerability Management (IAVM) controls for systems. Submit any applicable Plan of Action and Milestone (POAM) where required.
- Assist Sr. administrators in the delivery of high availability for all server resources within the data center while ensuring confidentiality and integrity of the environment
- Ensure all aspects of Disaster Recovery (DR) are operational and tested
- Able to administer systems via its command line interface
- Able to apply system updates via YUM and RPM
- Understanding of network topology and its association with DNS
- Knowledge of how to partition disks using fdisk or gdisk and use basic LVM commands to create volume groups and logical volumes from physical volumes
- Demonstrated ability managing system services (start, stop, check status)
- Able to create, delete and modify users
- Understanding of basic bash scripting
- Able to locate and interpret system log files to troubleshoot issues
- Understanding of Linux processes and the manipulation of them
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills including a strong willingness to learn and be taught, as you grow as a system administrator
- Able to work without supervision and accomplish basic tasks with little guidance
- Strong reading and comprehension skills
- Willingness to take on new projects and tasks as a path for learning and development
- Understanding of MAN pages and how to use them
- Understanding of SUDO and its configuration
- Ability to automate tasks with CRON
- Experience with scripting language(s) (Bash, Python, Perl, etc)
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in the field
Desired: Comptia Linux+ or equivalent
1+ years performing system administration on Linux/Unix systems
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENT STATEMENT:
This position profile incorporates the core responsibilities of the job. It is recognized that other related duties not specifically mentioned may also be performed, and that not all responsibilities may be carried out depending on operational needs. Nothing in this profile restricts management’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
1901 Group is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer
1901 Group offers a full package of benefits and competitive salary, excellent group medical, vision and dental programs, life insurance and short term/long term disability coverage, 401K savings plan; employee training, development and education programs; advancement opportunities; and much more!
1901 Group is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
1901 Group “Contingent” offers for employment may stipulate that one or more requirements be satisfied before final commitment between candidate and 1901 Group is established; namely, award of contract to the 1901 Group. Contingent requirements vary and may also include, but not be limited to additional factors (i.e., the position still being available after negotiations with the Government; final approval of your qualifications by the Government; or ability to successfully acquire and/or transfer a DoD security clearance)
U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
1901 Group is a drug free workplace.